• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing .img into iMovie

Reaction score
I have an iMac running OSX 10.6.(whatever the latest Snow Leopard is at). I am transferring old 8mm video of the kids to the iMac so I can edit in iMovie. I am doing so by recording from my old 8mm Canon Video to a Sharp DVD recording deck using DVD-RW disks. I then transfer the DVD image to an .img file using the disk utility on the iMac. Then I import the .img to iMovie by first double clicking on the file which mounts it as a drive on the desktop. I go into iMovie and use the camera capture to import. This works beautifully except iMovie is dropping from 10 to 20 minutes of the DVD img upon the import. To test the theory I went through each chapter on the DVD and compared to the chapters in the camera capture window and sure enough some footage is missing. However the DVD image I created is fine. I burned the .img to a new DVD-R using the disk utility and the disk is exactly like the original. Finally my question: Does any one know why iMovie is short changing me on some footage? Thanks...
Lou

C

chas_m

What format is the footage in REALLY?

"img" is a disk image, so that's no help to us at all. The file that is ON the disk image is what we're interested in. If you can open the file in QuickTime player you can tell us what video and audio codec was used, and also see if you notice any "missing" footage there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.