Apple ID and sharing

Reaction score
My wife has a new Ipad and we intend to share our Apple ID. She also has a separate Apple ID in another country. Could we still share our apps? There is this new regulation about a device being tied in with one ID only for 90 days. Would it affect our ability to buy from my wife's other Apple ID if we were to share my Apple ID on her iPad? Thanks to anyone who can help me. This Apple ID issue is very confusing.

C

chas_m

There is this new regulation about a device being tied in with one ID only for 90 days.

What?? Uh, no. Don't know where you heard that one.

But if you find the whole "Apple ID" thing confusing, keep it simple and don't share IDs. She has hers, you have yours. Yeah, you pay twice for apps you both like, but we are talking a few dollars (literally) most likely, and no confusion. Seems like a no-brainer to me what with most apps being so ridiculously cheap.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeppers, gotta keep up with the times chas - they're throwing new ones at us.

What I'm wondering - Their other articles still claim a max of 5 authorized computers and unlimited number of iOS devices.

So, does this article now mean a total of 10 max, in any combination, for instance 7 computers and 3 iOS devices or what?

Or is it still 5 computers max, but if you only have 3, then you could have up to 7 iOS devices?

C

chas_m

Yes, I went and looked it up. Hard to keep up with Apple these days!

But the OP still has it wrong. Once you SWITCH a device (let's say an iPhone) to using a given Apple ID, you can't change it to a different Apple ID for 90 days.

So if the two of them chose to use the SAME Apple ID, there's no problem. And if they choose to use DIFFERENT Apple IDs, there's no problem there either. It's only if they want to change back and forth willy-nilly (I love that expression) that there's a problem. But really, how many people actually need to do this on a routine basis?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I don't know. I think they're trying to cut down on all the kids using each other's Apple ID for pirating, err... sharing apps with one another.

OP
S
Reaction score
What I actually have are accounts in different app stores in different countries as I spend time working in one and actually living in another, thus different Apple IDs. I found that I could still download deleted apps by switching accounts and automatic downloads work too for apps but not books. Switching on books for automatic downloads with different IDs brings out the message "this device is already associated with an apple ID. If you turn on Automatic downloads with your apple ID, you cannot autodownload or download past purchases with a different Apple ID for 90 days." Strangely it only does this when the books toggle is switched on but not with the apps or music switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.