Buying today!

Reaction score
Ok, so just got talking to my manager, an I get paid early this month. :)
today, So once I get finished work, I am in the car an off to my apple store!
I should have a shiny new mac in 5-6 hours.

But I have one last question, I am still techniqually a student, an going to ask for the student discounts.
I understand the standard warrenty is 1year, but I thought I read some where that it gets extended to 3years (Hardware + repairs) for students. An this means, I Dont have to take out the apple care service?
Can some one please clarrify this for me!

Regards VIPeR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Are you in the UK?

UK students get an extended warranty; US (and everyone else as far as I know) do not.

OP
V
Reaction score
Are you in the UK?

UK students get an extended warranty; US (and everyone else as far as I know) do not.

Yes I am!
Live in N Ireland, so only store is the Victoria Square store, very nice an modern design. But some thing tells me there all that nice?
Last time I visited, the staff were amazingly helpful.

I had no idea the warrenty offer, was regional based!?
But happy days for me, an thanks for your quick reply.

VIPeR

Reaction score
Congrats, Viper! I, too, am switching today; it must be the very best day for switching. :Smirk: I'll be getting mine in about 3.5 hours local when the closest Apple store opens. Yay for us!

Reaction score
Dont forget lads, buy a new macbook, and get a free ipod touch!

OP
V
Reaction score
I have to agree canonicalkoi!
With the release of Snow Leapard, we may as well take the benifit of the offer!
What mac have you set your heart on?

I am the 17" MBP, with a few options!
7200RPM hard drive + iWork + Snow L!
May get other things like case an speakers,
remote that stuff!

If only work wasn't soo slow... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I have to agree canonicalkoi!
With the release of Snow Leapard, we may as well take the benifit of the offer!
What mac have you set your heart on?

I am the 17" MBP, with a few options!
7200RPM hard drive + iWork + Snow L!
May get other things like case an speakers,
remote that stuff!

If only work wasn't soo slow... lol

Wow that sounds like my dream machine.... 17 MBP! That is going to be sweet. I am a poor college student and figured the 13 MBP would be enough but after seeing the beauty of 17 MBP I have to get it once I can afford it. Good pick. Should be with you for a long time! Now go get it! haha and let us know when you do and how you like it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
It may be prudent to wait a couple of days:)

Today is the premier of the new Operating System and it's likely that stores will be crammed like subways with people purchasing!

Anyhow, welcome to the mac world!

OP
V
Reaction score
Yeah I am liking the specs of the 17" myself, or I would have went for the 15". I also have a Dell 2407wfp, an it's resolution is 1900x1200!
I don't think I could go back to a lower resolution!

My girl friend, has the new 13" unibody!
She loves it so much, she hasn't even allowed me near it. :(

lines!? Lol, I booked a personal shopper, to help me, an ask a few questions!

I own a 32gb 3Gs, so it would be pointless to be honest, however thanks.

Reaction score
Wow, Viper, you're getting the Dream Machine for sure! Man, the 17" would be nice, but I wanted something a little more portable. So...15", 320G HD and with the better NVidia 9400M+9600M GT w/256MB onboard. I'll grab iWork and Bento 2 and Snow Leopard, of course!

Leaving to make the drive in T minus 32, but who's counting? O:)

Reaction score
It may be prudent to wait a couple of days:)

Today is the premier of the new Operating System and it's likely that stores will be crammed like subways with people purchasing!

Anyhow, welcome to the mac world!

"Prudent"? "Prudent"??!? Checking internal dictionary.... ... ...entry not found. ;D You're likely right, but I've waited long enough and I'm goin' in...cover me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, if you've got a personal shopping appointment you're alright. I thought you were just gonna walk in!

Reaction score
I was at the Southcenter Apple Store when they opened at 10:30. Not a whole lot of folks, 10-15 maybe, waiting for the store to open. The nice young lady that assisted me said they had lots of staff on-hand--they figured lunch hour and after work would be slammed.

Got it! My beautiful Mac!! And, for anyone buying a computer today (Viper!), Snow Leopard's packed in the box with your computer, no charge. Yay!

OP
V
Reaction score
Congratulations.
And yes, sitting at home, on the sofa with my MAC.
A little disappointed to be honest, i just don't feel the WOW factor with it.
Apart from that it is a great laptop, an one I hope i get many good years usage out of.

How is your experiance going?
Still having a little difficulty doing things like "Right Click"
VIPeR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it feels more comfortable, you can plug in just about any 2-button USB mouse instead of the Laptop trackpad or Apple Mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM
Congrats and best of luck with your new Mac!

For me, I think a couple of things helped me get started with my MBP: some external items to make it easy to use and using the forum to answer all the little switcher questions like "how do I do ___ like I used on in Windows." Search is your friend!

A bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse for sitting on the desk typing things out is a must, plus I got a nifty little aluminum stand to set it on that really helps.

You really do get used to the little things like Fn-delete instead of backspace or whatever. I made the switch less than a year ago and wouldn't ever consider going back to Windows except on Parallels because I had to!

I LOVE the display on the new unibody Mac's...wow every time I use mine! Over time, I also really enjoyed the interface and reliability. I've nearly forgotten what a bummer using Vista is (except I still have an old laptop I download software updates on once a month...penance? Hahaha).

OS X is a solid OS and it even inspires one to switch their old computers to Linux (my old desktop is now Ubuntu and hooked up to the LCD TV).

Hope you enjoy your new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
If it feels more comfortable, you can plug in just about any 2-button USB mouse instead of the Laptop trackpad or Apple Mouse.

The trackpad is the best to use, I find myself limited when using MS Laptops now.

Try these settings, the tap the click is great, plus a two finger tap will be your right click. Or you can simply click the right hand corner of the trackpad to give you a right click.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay, Viper. Got home, plugged it in to recharge the battery and then started setting up a wireless router. Anyway...I really am loving it! The trackpad click feels a little weird (and I won't say how long I tried just tapping the pad. Maybe you'll assume it was a short length of time before I figured it out and won't know I'm an idiot!).

Other than that....I posting this from my Mac, on my couch and life is very, very good indeed.

Reaction score
Argh! Duplicate post. My apologies.

Oh, did think of something else. This is my first time using Safari. I'd originally thought I'd be downloading Firefox, but, from what I've seen, I'm really liking Safari. It has some very nice features--Snapback being one, and I think Safari will be my browser of choice.

As far as the Mac itself goes--nice keyboard! Really very nice and as it's still dark out here, the backlighting is very nice.

So, yeah, typical enthusiastic switcher here.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on setting up the track pad, had set it up that way by accident. Still learning the guestures atm, an there proving to be a real time saver.

I am actually using safari on my mac, out of having too.
Tried to install firefox, an done so after 7 odd attempts.
Got it working ok, but it leaves a weird (active drive) on the desktop. Every time it's in use? That normal?
As I adsolutly hate that.

Got msn client installed ok, an recommend alternatives?

An started to move my music/movies over to iTunes on the mac, have all my purchased stuff on it, now to move the rest! :(

I did get a laugh, when I pulled up, system resources?
Had 10 open programs, an it still said 5% CPU load. An about 1.5GB of RAM used. :D warming nicely, to my mac. An 8+ hours battery. Lol, never on a normal laptop.

VIPeR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.