13" MacBook Optical Drive Mounting Screws

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core Duo (2006 vintage)
Hi everyone,

So, a situation - the optical drive in my MacBook (of the late 2006 variety) broke recently. My warranty ran out a few months ago, so I figured I'd play tinker, and put in a new one myself using the guide provided on iFixit. The whole thing went well...that is 'till I dropped the screw that secures the drive into the case. It's the one in Step 20 on this page:

Installing MacBook Core Duo Optical Drive Cable - iFixit

I'm stumped trying to find this thing (I've already gone over my room with a rare earth magnet and a flashlight. Twice), and would like to try and get another. Does anyone know what sort of screw this is? I'd really appreciate it!

Reaction score
I really can't tell you what kind the screws are, but maybe this will help you...

I hope so...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, a situation - the optical drive in my MacBook (of the late 2006 variety) broke recently. My warranty ran out a few months ago, so I figured I'd play tinker, and put in a new one myself using the guide provided on iFixit. The whole thing went well...that is 'till I dropped the screw that secures the drive into the case. It's the one in Step 20 on this page:

Installing MacBook Core Duo Optical Drive Cable - iFixit

I'm stumped trying to find this thing (I've already gone over my room with a rare earth magnet and a flashlight. Twice), and would like to try and get another. Does anyone know what sort of screw this is? I'd really appreciate it!

yeah it is most likely a 2mm screw with a length of 2 or 2.5 mm I would mail you a few if you are in the usa or you could go to small parts dot com and buy a few different sizes. I have a lot of them i purchased many sizes to do mac minis I am on mac mini 123 forums a lot same name send me a pm if you want some. phil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.