problems staying on wireless?

Reaction score
I'm having issues staying connected to my home wireless connection from my new macbook pro. I used the assistant to make the new wiress connection spot, used my wep 128 hex key pass and mac even saved my pass to keychain. But whenever I'm using the internet, after about 20 minutes or so, the wireless just stops! The network diagnostics assistant shows all red on the side where it says airport, ip and everything else. I try using the same pass i use in keychain (sometimes it comes up automatically), with it always telling me "connection timed out".

But then, sometimes it just self corrects itself. But not enough of the time. What is going onnnn?:Not-Amused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Any particular reason you're using WEP? WEP is really quite dated and is easily hackable. Switch it over to WPA (or better yet WPA2). Not only will it be a lot more secure, it should be faster, more reliable and easier to use (since you only need to use a simple password, rather than a 26 character key).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use WEP cause thats the only security my router has.

If your router is less than 6 years old, it should also offer WPA. And if it doesn't it might just need a quick firmware update. Well worth the trouble, IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.