Revisiting Aperture and Lightroom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad Core Q6600, 4 GB PC2-6400 CAS4, 750 GB Seagate
Hi All,

Since switching to Mac a few weeks ago I am in a search for some photo managing software with workflow. The two current competitors are Apple's Aperture and Adobe's Lightroom. I have over 200,000 photos, so it is also important for me how the photos are organized and cataloged.

I have download the trial version for both. And both application allow for the importing of folders from disk. However, I do not want to make new copies of the images, just to catalog them. With Lightroom it was not a problem as there was a checkbox to copy them or leave them where they are. In Aperture, I could not find such a feature. If there is no such feature in Aperture, then the easy winner will be Lightroom. Is there such a feature in Aperture?

Both applications are feature rich. There are some features I prefer in Aperture and some in Lightroom. They have different approaches to workflow and I am not sure which one I prefer currently. Aperture is more flexible when it comes to workflow. Lightroom has some nifty features and is a little more usable, in my opinion, then Aperture.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Brian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad Core Q6600, 4 GB PC2-6400 CAS4, 750 GB Seagate
Importing in Aperture

I did figure out how to import without creating a new catalog in Aperture. It is on the import popup when choosing the folders.

I have been playing around with the two of them for the last day or so and I more impressed with Lightroom than Aperture, though it was close. Aperture was more CPU intensive, even on simple tasks, and did not do as good as a job on items like removing dust particles from photos.

Both very good on importing, once I figured out how to do it properly in Aperture, and organization. I prefer the layout in Lightroom and found it easier to follow than Aperture. This is probably due to having used Photoshop for years. Some tasks in Aperture I had to stop and look around for what I wanted to do. It is a little learning curve, but probably not that big of one.

In the end I am going to be spending my money on Lightroom. Aperture is a fine product and is $100 less. Maybe I will revisit Aperture in future releases, but for now I am sticking with Lightroom.

Brian

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently debating Apeture vs Lightroom. The reason im leaning towards apeture is because of the fact that timemachine can automatically back up my libraries with my timecapsule.

My concerns are;

I shoot raw, if I import that file how does the system work for making different versions etc
If I use photoshop how does apeture library deal with that? Is it integrated like lightroom?
And what is the jpeg export of these programs like?

Thanks in advance
Travis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.