Mac Messenger problem

Reaction score
First time poster on here... so please go easy on me!

I'm aware that mac messenger has its problems, but the one I have is that only the sign in alert doesn't pop up. All the other alerts (like receiving an instant message, new email alert, etc.) ... they all work. I have ticked the relevant box under in the application preferences.

Also, I am not looking to use an alternative application to the Mac Messenger, as I use emoticons a lot. So is there anyone who uses Mac Messenger who also has this problem? Or possibly has had it before and knows of a way to fix it?

Thanks for your time :D

Reaction score
strange...i have this problem too...but the thing is that before I updated the little alert boxes did use to show up when someone came online :S:S:S..i considered mercury because it tells you when someone opens or closes a conversation window but mercury is just plain ugly

Reaction score
I have literally tried every MSN-supported chat client for Mac, everything from aMSN to Mercury, from Messenger for Mac to a bunch of browser based clients. I can safely say that Adium is truly the best of the lot. You don't have to worry that you will lose your emoticons because Adium has MSN-exclusive emoticons as well. Not only that, it also has emoticons from Yahoo, iChat, a default set of emoticons and Adium's own emoticons.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have literally tried every MSN-supported chat client for Mac, everything from aMSN to Mercury, from Messenger for Mac to a bunch of browser based clients. I can safely say that Adium is truly the best of the lot. You don't have to worry that you will lose your emoticons because Adium has MSN-exclusive emoticons as well. Not only that, it also has emoticons from Yahoo, iChat, a default set of emoticons and Adium's own emoticons.

Kind of missing out on Video chat, and hand writing recognition. Which are the two things that I miss from MSN messenger on Windows. I can live without it of course. ^-^"

Reaction score
Kind of missing out on Video chat, and hand writing recognition. Which are the two things that I miss from MSN messenger on Windows. I can live without it of course. ^-^"

For video chat, I use Skype. And as for writing recognition, why do you need it?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For video chat, I use Skype. And as for writing recognition, why do you need it?

Yes I'm aware of Skype, and I don't video chat very often. If I need to I do it on iChat.

Hand writing recognition because I like hand writing stuff instead of typing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You don't have to worry that you will lose your emoticons because Adium has MSN-exclusive emoticons as well. Not only that, it also has emoticons from Yahoo, iChat, a default set of emoticons and Adium's own emoticons.

+1 for Adium and download it HERE
and for a good alert app you cant go past GROWL. You can tweak it to how ever you want. A great little App ....

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
strange...i have this problem too...but the thing is that before I updated the little alert boxes did use to show up when someone came online :S:S:S..i considered mercury because it tells you when someone opens or closes a conversation window but mercury is just plain ugly

Yes velaquin, that is exactly the same way I got my problem as well. It was working like it should before I started changing the settings! :Not-Amused:

Thanks for the help everyone, I have actually downloaded Adium now and it looks and works very well. But I can't find out how to use the custom emoticons in the xtras manager? Also, if someone uses an emoticon, normally you can save it for your own future usage, but is this not a feature on Adium?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.