iPhoto

Reaction score
I have just done an import into iPhoto from my pictures folder.

When you do this are the images actually copied into iPhoto (ie will my images take up twice the hard drive space) or are they just references to the actual images?

I'm just concerned that I am using hard disk space when I don't need to.

Thanks

Ricky55

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
By default yes. You can change that in Preferences and the advanced tab. Not sure which version of iPhoto you are using (mine is 06) but the setting should be the same.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yes. iPhoto copies the pictures into it's own library named "iPhoto Library" in the pictures folder.

However, before you go about deleting important pictures, try this. Import a stupid picture into iPhoto. Delete the original from your desktop. Now, drag and drop the stupid picture from the library onto your desktop and see it's file size. It should be identical to the one deleted.

Of course, this is just a precaution cause try as you might, you can't get pictures back.

OP
Ricky55
Reaction score
Cheers, I thought it was copying them.

I can see why Apple have done that but its a bit of a waste of space.

Thanks for the info I will change my settings.

Ricky55

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.