• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

editing A LOT of various video formats in Final Cut (help plz!)

Reaction score
Hello all!

I looked around for this specifically on these forums, but couldn't find my answer.

I'm going to be making a feature in Final Cut and later author to DVD Studio Pro of a concert. For the most part, all the clips were audience shot with various different kinds of camcorders, digital cameras, etc. with a lot of different file types.

I'm working with Avi, Mov, MPEG, DIVX, DV, MP4, WMV, etc.

What is the most pain-free way to get everything to work smoothly in Final Cut.

I see Final Cut crashes whenever I bring in an AVI file, and one of the kinds of files (forget off hand) doesn't load the audio.

I mean, its no big deal really if I have to convert all the videos to a one proper format (would this be DV or Quicktime?).
But I want to preserve any quality the clips have without converting them so many times (as a lot are digital camera movies that need to NOT be put through a lot of generations of converting and such).

Can COMPRESSOR handle this for me, or is that app for handling videos AFTER making them in Final Cut? (obviously, i don't have Final Cut Studio, or I would know the answer to that).

Or am I stuck with converting dozens of movie files in MPEG STREAM CLIP?

So basically, what files should I bother converting to, and should I be converting to DV or Quicktime to use in Final Cut (again, the final result will be for DVD).

File size isn't really an issue. But I just don't want to have to convert clips to one format to edit in final cut, only to have it go through another conversion once the final product is done, to then be converted to DVD-MPEG2 format.

Sorry for this being too long (or confusing).
Any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

Reaction score
Compressor should do you good. Key notes: make all files and project have the same specs.
Pick a size, and frame rate. Make all your movies and your project settings/timeline settings have that same size and frame rate.
Export all the videos in compressor according to that size and frame rate. What does not export in compressor, you will need to search for an application that will export that file format specifically.
Same goes to audio, all the same rate.
Some files might have trouble exporting audio, and need other applications to assist. Or the use of your creativity to record the audio and import it separately.
Hope this helps. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.