Trying to clean install 10.6.3 over 10.7.3 not working

Reaction score
I had some software problems recently which I have a sneaky suspicion has something to do with QT frameworks which has caused my main 3D app to behave erratically. I have also lost my Library folder from my user directory and I cant install a lot of python related modules I feel all these problems are related. To remedy this I thought Id try installing 10.7.3 to see if it replaced any missing python modules or QT libraries that may have corrupted but it didnt work. All I want to do now is do a clean install from my boot disc which I believe is 10.6.3 but it wont let me choose my hard drive as a valid install drive saying it cannot start up on this disc. Yet I can cancel the install and start up from the HD. I believe it has something to do with the OS deciding for me that I shouldnt revert backwards to an earlier OS, is this the case? Are there any workarounds, this is quite frustrating.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You need to boot from the optical disc, it cannot install over a running system

Shut down with the disc in and restart pressing the C key, it should then boot from the DVD

By the way, you haven't lost your library folder in 10.7, it's hidden. Alt click on the View menu and the option re-appears.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To see the User Library that you feel is missing, in Finder, click the GO drop down while holding down option and it will show up. Apple hid that library from general view due to many messing around in there and ruining their OS install.

If you are booting from the 10.6.3 DVD, you can't upgrade a newer OSX with an older one. I think that is your issue. I would in 10.7 run a full Time Machine backup to an external drive, then erase the drive in Disk Utility once in the 10.6.3 installer. Once you have it all installed migrate the files back using Migration Assistant from your Time Machine Backup.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay Il try the backup and erase technique as I as booting from disc originally. As for the hidden Library folder I wouldve thought the preferences folder was enough to make it a legitimate for users to rummage through? Oh well Apple doing the thinking for us again.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
If you want to go back to Snow Leopard from a Lion install you have to delete the recovery partition. That partition is whats telling you you cannot install, remember Apple does not like folks going backwards.

I have always done it this way Clone the boot drive and put it in the closet so it's always available for emergencies. Boot from install media secure erase the HDD (write zeros) go to bed. Wake up the next day start the install process go to work. Go home at lunch complete the install process. If I don't feel like installing my applications again from scratch (rare, as I keep the DMG's) I use my cloned HDD to put back just the applications (provided the short name is the same). Come home from work to a fresh Mac with the OS I want.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, thats very clear explanation . I think I will install my apps again, that was something that was bothering me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.