Installing OS X Leopard

Reaction score
Forgive me if I should have read through the almost 800 pages of forum to find where this may have been answered. I'm new here today.

My PowerBook G4 has not been used in several years. It came with OS 10.2.8and some things like Virex, Internet Explorer, and Outlook EXpress.

I want to install Leopard, but have been given to understand that I should uninstall some things first.

What should I uninstall and how should I go about that?

Thanks so much for your help,
Anna Marie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
In my opinion it would be best to back up your documents and everything you want to save to an external USB hard drive or something similar.

Then you reinstall your computer completely by wiping the hard drive so you get a fresh system installed. You can format the hard drive when you install the new system. When you have done that you copy the files you backupped back to your Mac. And resume your work ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to install Leopard, but have been given to understand that I should uninstall some things first.

What should I uninstall and how should I go about that?

I've never heard that...just go ahead & do the install (don't forgot to back up anything important just in case of a problem).

BTW...does your Powerbook meet the system requirements for 10.5?

Minimum CPU speed is 867mhz.

Finally...I hope that you have the Black Leopard install disk with the big "X" on it. If you have the grey disks...they probably won't work.

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on that Powerbook? Leopard wants a minimum of a G4 867Mhz CPU. What is the CPU speed and how much RAM?

Also I think what the OP might be talking about is when 10.5 came out, a few 3rd party apps caused havoc just like with 10.6 are are better uninstalled first before upgrading to 10.5. Since he is running 10.2, who knows what is installed and even loading at startup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.