How to delete Podcasts downloaded to iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have a number of Podcasts which were downloaded to the Mac in iTunes - some of which were then synced to the iPad.

Partly due to problems with download quotas at Home, I also have some podcasts which I downloaded directly to the iPad whilst using a free WiFi somewhere else. THese show up in iPod and iTunes (and Videos) on the iPad, but do not seem to sync to the Mac and are not shown in iTunes on the Mac as being installed on the iPad.

None of the Apps on the iPad seem to have a delete function - so how do I remove these Podcasts from the iPad? My iPad is full and I need the space.

The files I need to remove must add up to 2 or 3 GB, so I really do need to get rid of them. Any ideads please?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Even worse - now it does not seem to want to backup properly. I attach the iPad and click on 'sync'. It does a tiny part of the backup and then seems to just sit there. I tried deleting the backup in case it was corrupt, but no change.

Where are the backups stored please?

Any ideas how to resolve this please? :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

None of the Apps on the iPad seem to have a delete function - so how do I remove these Podcasts from the iPad? My iPad is full and I need the space.

??I'm lost as to what this means - deleting an app would have nothing to do with deleting a Podcast.

Deleting an app from the iPad - hold one of them till they start wiggling and then click the x in the corner of the app. Or when you sync, uncheck that app in iTunes so it is removed.

As for the Podcasts, sorry, I use manually manage all of that stuff rather than checking/unchecking and syncing.

Even worse - now it does not seem to want to backup properly. I attach the iPad and click on 'sync'. It does a tiny part of the backup and then seems to just sit there. I tried deleting the backup in case it was corrupt, but no change.

Where are the backups stored please?

Any ideas how to resolve this please? :(

What do you mean "it does not seem to want to backup" and it "seems" to sit there?
You tried deleting the backup from where? How - if you don't know where it's stored?

The backups are stored in:
~(your home directoy)/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

I would suggest letting the backup do it's job. If your iPad is full, it may take awhile. It's taking around a minute per GB or so for a 20GB backup on mine and the bar "seems" to just sit at several spots for a good while.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I meant was that there are Podcasts on the iPad which do not show up as 'checked' for installation in iTunes on the Mac - so I can't uncheck them in order for them to be deleted from the iPad.

The jury is still out on the backup - I left it all night backing up and it had completed in the morning, but not sure how long it took. Changing to the cable which came with the iPad rather than the one which came with the iPhone or iPod does not seem to make any difference to the speed as far as I can tell so far.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I've not noticed any difference in speed moving data with using the iPad supplied cable or any of the generics I have.

So, the podcasts you downloaded on the iPad don't show up under the iPad section while connected in iTunes?
If that's the case, not sure what to tell you there. Mine do show up.
But, I always change the setting to manually manage after the initial sync on all of my devices.

However, the same way you swipe to the right in the Mail app on the iPhone/iPad to delete an individual email - you can do that also in the iPad's iPod player and delete individual podcasts that way.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay - it worked.

Thanks again Bob.

Bob is unquestionably the fount of all knowledge :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
Same problem as Nighthawk4 with orphaned podcasts on the iPad and I thank Bob for the easy solution. Hoping Apple will be working diligently to fix this sync bug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.