Backing up/mirroring external hard drives

Reaction score
Hi All,
Hopefully somebody out there can offer some useful input on this question.
I am running a Macbook Pro with several external hard drives (Lacie D2s in various sizes) on which I archive and back up my image library.
I am using Time Machine to back up my laptop's hard drive but I would like to be able to back-up/sync/mirror my image library on one external hard drive to another external hard drive. Is there an application anyone can recommend to do this (as opposed to copying files/folders manually). Is Time Machine capable of doing this?
To be more specific, I am running two 1TB external hard drives as my image library main drive and image library back up. I would like to set up s system to sync or mirror or backup the main image library hard drive to the back up drive so the two are kept in constant (or nearly constant sync). I hope this makes sense! Any useful input would be welcome.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd recommend SuperDuper!.

The free version only does complete backups. The paid version will do incremental backups.

You'll have to sync manually if you want the sync more than once per day.

To do what you're asking with a continuous sync, you need an external RAID device which will write all data simultaneously to both drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
If you're looking for a really good option you may want to check out Synology disk stations. They are NAS setups where you can run them in RAID like bobtomay was talking about. I have a ds110j single bay but they make ones that can hold 4 drives which means you can take your 2 existing drives and set them up with RAID on 2 others. They have excellent equiment, software, and support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.