old G4 + mac os X = good?

L

laurance2

I currently have an old g4 tower that is running on mac os9.2, the machine speed is 450 Mhz and the memory is 512MB. I am running final cut pro 2 and photoshop etc which have always run very smoothly, its incredibly stable, more so than bigger and better G4's & 5's I have used. I was just wondering if i were to install mac osX, would this mess up everything too much, i have heard mixed reactions from a few people, but am unsure whether they actually know what they are talking about. It is essential that final cut pro works well though.
I would be grateful for any suggestions.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since you are running Final Cut Pro 2, I would keep the system at the OS level that you are at. You would need to upgrade to at least version 3 of Final Cut Pro, to run in OS X. Trying to run Final Cut Pro in classic mode would be a pain to say the least. If you have enough disk space you could create a dual booy system. Then you can run Final Cut Pro 2 with no problem in OS 9 and be able check out OS X.

OP
M

mamatroll

Running Panther fine

If this is any help, I have what is termed a "first generation" G4 and I upgraded everytime they came out with a new OS. I'm currently running OS 10.3.8 with no problems. I do have a question and might post a new thread.

Recently I read in Macworld about maintenance that automatic scripts are run to keep the hard drive healthy. This requires leaving the computer awake over night a couple times during the month. I don't understand how this works. Should something like Explorer be open? Should I log out first or leave it logged on? Please, if anyone knows, I'd like a little more guidance.

Thanks

Mamatroll

rman said:
Since you are running Final Cut Pro 2, I would keep the system at the OS level that you are at. You would need to upgrade to at least version 3 of Final Cut Pro, to run in OS X. Trying to run Final Cut Pro in classic mode would be a pain to say the least. If you have enough disk space you could create a dual booy system. Then you can run Final Cut Pro 2 with no problem in OS 9 and be able check out OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
mamatroll said:
If this is any help, I have what is termed a "first generation" G4 and I upgraded everytime they came out with a new OS. I'm currently running OS 10.3.8 with no problems. I do have a question and might post a new thread.

Recently I read in Macworld about maintenance that automatic scripts are run to keep the hard drive healthy. This requires leaving the computer awake over night a couple times during the month. I don't understand how this works. Should something like Explorer be open? Should I log out first or leave it logged on? Please, if anyone knows, I'd like a little more guidance.

Thanks

Mamatroll

I believe you're referring to running cron scripts...those can be set in Terminal by typing "sudo sh /etc/daily", setting the "daily" to weekly or monthly and it doesn't interfere with the apps - the computer just has to be on. There's more on this and other maintenance on this thread if you like. :)
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14276&page=1&pp=15&highlight=cron+scripts

OP
M

mamatroll

maintenance

Thanks for an explanation that was simple enough for me. And thanks for the link.

I still want to know whether I should log off as administrator on my computer when leaving it on for this -- or does it matter?
mamatroll

deus_ex_machina said:
I believe you're referring to running cron scripts...those can be set in Terminal by typing "sudo sh /etc/daily", setting the "daily" to weekly or monthly and it doesn't interfere with the apps - the computer just has to be on. There's more on this and other maintenance on this thread if you like. :)
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14276&page=1&pp=15&highlight=cron+scripts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
AFAIK you shouldn't have to. I never really log out of admin - but I'm the only user ;)

OP
M

mamatroll

Thanks. I have another question that's actually about this forum. I had to look for this thread for about an hour before I found this. I even searched for posts with my name and it came up with none. How do you return to threads that you have posted on or that you have started? I am not that adept at forums and don't quite get how to navigaate them.

deus_ex_machina said:
AFAIK you shouldn't have to. I never really log out of admin - but I'm the only user ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.