Can i use minidisplay port to HDMI for a external monitor?

Reaction score
Hello,

So as of now my Imac is sitting here collecting dust and im using my new PC with a hd graphics card but there is one problem. My brand new fancy computer is using a old SD VGA monitor. So i was wondering if i could maybe use my Imac which has a beautiful display and use it for my pc just as a monitor.

My idea was to use this For only $8.26 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable - White | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables

and connect it straight to my HD card.

you guys are the pros, so i was wondering if there would be any issues with this.
Thank you ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We'll ned to know a bit more to be sure but I don't think so. I think it is possible with some iMacs but for other models the video port on the iMac is for video output not input. Using a 27-inch iMac (Late 2009 or Mid 2010) as an external display

The only way I can think to do what you want would be through software. Essentially the software lets one computer use another computer on the network as a second display. I am not sure which Windows program is good for this though. Others will have to chime in on that front. Depending upon the seed of your network there can be some lag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.