Using HDMI to DVI: How to make TV (input) Dominant

Reaction score
I got sick of watching Netflix' Instant Viewing on my GF's laptop, so I purchased the HDMI to DVI cable, and the Apple Adaptor for mini DVI (and I use an 1/8" stereo cable coming out of the headphone jack, and into the stereo for the audio channel). Everything is all fine and dandy except this: when using the Netflix instant viewer, if I click on "fullscreen" it sends that to the laptop screen, not to the TV, even though that window is opened on the TV. I not very tech savvy, but I'm guessing that by default (and for good reason) the laptop monitor is the "dominant" screen, and the signal sent to the TV is "secondary".

My burning question: is there any way to, perhaps somewhere in System Preferences to switch this designation?

This only pertains to when I want to go fullscreen. Fortunately on hulu, there's a pop out feature that enables you to enlarge the window to fit the fullscreen; a nice workaround.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
Have you tried mirroring your display? That's what I do with my Macbook Pro when I want to watch movies on it. I just mirror the display to my 32 inch Samsung and it works great. The TV adjusts to it's own resolution and the Macbook Pro stays at it's native one. Oh forgot to mention I'm doing this the same way you are. HDMI to DVI.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When using extended mode:

System Preferences - Displays - Appearance tab

On the right side of the window you'll find a box with two mini-monitors inside it.
One of them will have a white bar at the top of it. This represents your Menu bar.
Drag and drop that white bar to the other mini-monitor. This will effectively make your TV the primary display while it is attached and running in extended mode.

You don't need to move the bar back. Once detached, your internal display will automatically become the primary again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.