Eject a disc

Reaction score
I don't seem to have an eject button. Where can I find it?

Mac OS X
Version 10.7.5
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk HD

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Mac do you have? You can drag the icon for the disc to the trash to eject the media..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Multiple ways to do it. It would help if we knew if you had a laptop or desktop.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All this guesswork!

I am shocked you Moderators are not mind readers!

OP
M
Reaction score
Mac OS X
Version 10.7.5
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk HD

Is the information above not enough to indicate what computer I use? If you scroll up you will see that I had originally posted this information along with my question.

I't a laptop!

Dragging the disc icon to the trash worked and I was able to force quite and eject, but why is there no eject button option, without having to send the icon to the trash?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the information above not enough to indicate what computer I use?

Actually no! That information does not indicate if it's a laptop or a desktop.

If it was a desktop computer...and you were using a non-Apple keyboard...then there would not be an eject key on a non-Apple keyboard.

This is why I needed to know if you had a laptop or a desktop.

...but why is there no eject button option, without having to send the icon to the trash?

There is an eject button on Apple laptop keyboards. It's the key in the very upper right of the keyboard. The one with the triangle with a line under it.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, I see! Thank you very much for your help. You solved my problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I guess Apple makes different keyboards - I have a new 13" r-MBP purchased at the end of March and the right upper corner of the KB does not look like the pic below - in place of the eject button is the power one. Now, not a problem, dragging an icon to the trash, using the drop down menu, or opening Finder and selecting the eject option there have all worked fine for me. Dave :)

apple-wireless-kb-review-21.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess Apple makes different keyboards - I have a new 13" r-MBP purchased at the end of March and the right upper corner of the KB does not look like the pic below - in place of the eject button is the power one.

I think that you're going to do a "face-palm" when I explain why your keyboard is different:;)

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

The reason why your 13" retina MacBook Pro keyboard does not have an eject button is...it does not have an optical drive. Thus it does not need to have a specific optical drive eject button on the upper right of the keyboard like laptops with an optical drive.

But you are correct:)...Apple has had different keyboard layouts over the years. Specifically the function specific keys (top row) have been moved around a bit. But the optical drive eject key has always been in the upper right (until the release of the laptops without an optical drive).

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good catch Nick. That never occurred to me. Even after I looked at a picture of that keyboard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good catch Nick. That never occurred to me. Even after I looked at a picture of that keyboard.

Thanks!:) Yeah...I sort of over-looked this little detail as well when thinking about the OP's question.

OP never really made it clear exactly what model computer (laptop) they have. But from the specs at the beginning of the thread & the OS version (10.7.5)...it did not appear to be a MacBook Air or retina MacBook Pro (both with no optical drive).

A great reminder that "RadDave's" post inspired.:) Since we may get this sort of question from other folks with newer (non-optical Apple notebooks)...asking "Where's my eject key??" Answer: "You don't have one...you don't have an optical drive!";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks!:)
A great reminder that "RadDave's" post inspired.:) Since we may get this sort of question from other folks with newer (non-optical Apple notebooks)...asking "Where's my eject key??" Answer: "You don't have one...you don't have an optical drive!";)

Thanks Nick - obvious reason that I should have grasped quickly - but you know, when I had my SuperDrive attached (ripping & burning some CD-Rs) for the first time, I was wondering about a disc ejection button (really not needed, of course, plenty of other ways now that I'm getting around the laptop more easily) - Dave :)

Reaction score
I finally ended up closing the application, then reopen, mount the disc, then eject. Very crude

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.