Optical Drive Problem- Will not open

Reaction score
My optical drive will not open. The drive is on a table and I could not see that there was a disc already in it. I doubled my fun and am paying for it by screwing something up. I came back to Mac (Mac Pro, 2.66 Quad) last December.

I had to remove the drive and open it with a paper clip and resolved the problem. I grounded myself as I would for a PC, which I came from, with a wrist strap. I did something wrong as the keyboard command will not open the drive.

I just bought two new drives from New Egg as I need the extra capabilities for my photography business. Before I install them I would like some expertise as to what I may have done or what problems were waiting for me, unknown to me, that may have transpired once I opened the side door. I have already upgraded the RAM to 9 G and I did that myself. Just wondering if there is a software issue...Because...

The disc utility will not open either when I tried repair. the spinning cursor just keeps spinning and does not open the disc utility. I let it go for 20 minutes. This all occurred in the same time frame as the physical problem with two CD's in the optical drive. This is why I bought two new ones.

Let me know if I need to provide more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it you are using Leopard which has the latest update? First off make sure the power cables are securely fitted, as they can be bits of terrors to get right. Then try run Repair Permissions and see if that helps.

If no joy have a look at this link from Apple Discussions about little tabs becoming bent:-

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=625846

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also have a look at the previous post by highlyunorthodx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.