• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A question about the Apple A1023 iSight webcam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys.
I have seen one of these cameras for sale but the blurb says .......
"Can be used for Skype, iChat etc on a Power Mac G5."
The snag is that I recently bought some software for the Mac OS X operating system. It wasn't cheap and when I got it home I found that it only worked with OS X 10.6 AND EARLIER. So that meant that it didn't work on my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion.
I'm hoping that some kind soul will answer this post with .....
"No problem, Steve. An A1023 webcam will certainly work with your Mac Mini." and mean it. Otherwise, the frog gets hurt.
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No such news.

Working with Snow Leopard OS X.6 an earlier, shows the software to be PowerPC architecture. This worked under Snow Leopard via Rosetta. Rosetta has been culled under Lion and Mountain Lion alas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I understand the iSight webcam question...but what did the mention of the "not cheap" software have to do with the iSight camera question (I'm not seeing any connection). Unless the suggestion is...you don't want to get "burned" twice...from the software purchase & the webcam.

I have two of these iSight webcams. Unfortunately I do not have a newer Mac-Mini to test it on...but I'll try plugging it into one of my newer Apple laptops (running 10.7 or 10.8)...and see what happens.

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry ..... The software was ViaVoice and that didn't work with Mountain Lion. It was that negative experience that makes me wary of buying a webcam that says on the box "Can be used for Skype, iChat etc on a Power Mac G5."

Pigoo3 .... You're a star. I just mentioned that the software wasn't cheap as a kind of explanation as to why I was asking about compatibility between iSight A1023 and Mac Mini/Mountain Lion.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigoo3 .... You're a star. I just mentioned that the software wasn't cheap as a kind of explanation as to why I was asking about compatibility between iSight A1023 and Mac Mini/Mountain Lion.

The software compatibility was definitely something that could have been investigated before the software purchase (too late now).

But the iSight camera is a little more difficult...unless you know someone who has one...and can test it on a Mac with a newer version of the OS installed. Which I will test very soon.

Hopefully by testing it on a newer MacBook/MacBook Pro with a newer OS version installed...and with an already built-in camera...won't give different results than with Mac-Mini.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ok...here's the deal. I did the testing...and here are the findings.

Firstly...I forgot that the iSight camera requires a firewire port (I haven't used it in a long time). Secondly...I had three computers to test with:

- 13" Early 2011 MacBook Pro (OS 10.7)
- 17" Early 2011 MacBook Pro (OS 10.8)
- 13" 2008 White MacBook (OS 10.7)

The iSight camera requires a Firewire 400 port. Both of my 2011 laptops only have a Firewire 800 port (and I have no 400 to 800 adapter). But luckily (since the 2008 MacBook is older) it did have a Firewire 400 port.

When I tested the iSight camera on the 2008 MacBook (running OS 10.7 "Lion")...the iSight camera worked fine.:) I was not able to test on a computer running 10.8...but I think the odds are in the favor of it working with 10.8 as well.

You have a 2010 Mac-Mini...which also only has a Firewire 800 port. So in order to use this iSight camera...you would need a Firewire 800 to 400 adapter.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok...here's the deal.

You have a 2010 Mac-Mini...which also only has a Firewire 800 port. So in order to use this iSight camera...you would need a Firewire 800 to 400 adapter.

HTH,:)

- Nick

This actually is really good to know. As i see it, and have read about them, they are still to this day, one of the better "Web Cams" on the Market (when they were still being sold) and still is. I haven't seen a bad review on them, and for $25 for a adapter it could be a good investment, as i ripped the might fine wires out when replacing my Optical Drive with a SSD.
Will just need to find one with a mount.

Thanks for the testing Nick.

Reaction score
Just remember that the older iSight is a much lower resolution camera than most current iterations of webcams. IIRC, the iSight is only 640X480. If you're trying to conserve bandwidth, that might be a bonus to you. If you're after HQ images, you might be disappointed with the resolution.

I did always like the external iSight, though. I think I may still have one sitting around here somewhere in the little round, clear plastic tube.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigoo3 .... Not only are you a star but you are also a legend in your own lifetime. I can now go and buy this webcam with at least a 90% chance that it will work. There's just one more question for you which will be on my next post on this forum.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About this Firewire malarkey. As I understand it, my Mac Mini from mid 2010 has 800 firewire (I have no idea what that means) whereas the iSight web cam uses 400 Firewire. So to make the cam work, I will need an adapter to, for want of a better phrase, step down my 800 to 400.
Could you please take a look at eBay auction number 141081641321 and tell me if that is the right bit of kit.
Cheers,
Steve.

ps .... I have been searching for some kind of Kudos or Thanks button but I can't see one. Is there one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you please take a look at eBay auction number 141081641321 and tell me if that is the right bit of kit.

That does look like the correct adapter to me.:)

Also...I know things tend to be more expensive in the UK...but £23.12 ($37.42 USD) seems awful expensive for such a little adapter. Although some video adapters from the Apple Store do cost $29USD.

I just want to caution you on two things:

1. This iSight camera is from around 2003 (and was a very good web cam for the time). Now 10 years later...it's probably behind the times...as "indychris" mentioned above.

2. Be careful that the cost of this iSight webcam + the cost of the adapter...doesn't exceed the price of a better & more modern webcam that would work with your Mac-Mini.

ps .... I have been searching for some kind of Kudos or Thanks button but I can't see one. Is there one?

In the bottom left corner of every post...you will see some little icons. The icon with what looks like a "check mark" and an "X" is the button you're looking for.

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigoo3 ... or may I call you Nick?
I don't seem to have any such icons. I have tried to take a screenshot to post on here but whatever I do, the Preview screen just shows a mass of HTML. I have uploaded the image to photobucket and tried all 4 options with the same result.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW .... I was under the impression that if you wanted a web cam that worked with a Mac, the iSight camera was virtually your only option. If that is wrong, can anyone suggest another camera that works well with a Mac?
Cheers,
Steve.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW .... I was under the impression that if you wanted a web cam that worked with a Mac, the iSight camera was virtually your only option. If that is wrong, can anyone suggest another camera that works well with a Mac?

There are fewer options for Mac's...so you do need to be careful before buying. Here's a very good webcam that will work with a Mac...the Logitech C920:

Logitech® HD Pro Webcam C920

The Logictech website does not say that it is Mac compatible...but it is. I got one for my mother-in-law's Mac-Mini. Here's also a thread from the Apple forums that does confirm compatibility & how to deal with some setup issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20426651#20426651

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. When I purchased the C920 about a year ago...I got it for about half the price that the Logitech website indicates. Logictech website = $99USD....I got it for about $60 USD.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a rough guide, the Logitec web cam would set you back an average cost of £120 on eBay.co.uk. Some are priced lower but are used with bits missing. You can get those for about £60 (including postage) but there are some advertised at over £200 with most being in the £90 to £130 price range. So a web cam for £20 and a firewire adapter for another £20 or so doesn't seem such a bad deal after all, lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So a web cam for £20 and a firewire adapter for another £20 or so doesn't seem such a bad deal after all, lol

Yes...I was going to mention that (since I didn't know the cost of a Logitech C920 in the UK). That if the older iSight camera + adapter was significantly less...then it may fine for your needs.

The C920 is a higher end web cam...there may be less expensive one's as well.

Here's a C920 on e-Bay UK for £41 with 11.5 hours remaining (supposed to be brand new):

Logitech C920 Webcam - USB 2.0 15 Megapixel Interpolated 1920 x 1080 Video... 054651076624 | eBay

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Pigoo3 ... or may I call you Nick?
I don't seem to have any such icons. I have tried to take a screenshot to post on here but whatever I do, the Preview screen just shows a mass of HTML. I have uploaded the image to photobucket and tried all 4 options with the same result.

Top right. See image . . . .

Kvjd7zJ.png

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that, Mac. Sadly, the forum says that I have to spread the love around before I can add to Nick's reputation.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link, Nick.
Here's another Logitech web cam that still has 4 hours to run. This one is a C910 which I believe is also Mac friendly.
Logitech Webcam | eBay

Any opinions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Firstly, I would recommend you do a search for any webcam you want to buy in conjunction with the term "Mac". In this case "Logitech C910 Mac" and you would find links such as:

HD Pro Webcam C910 sofware for Mac - Page 3 - Logitech Forums

I only looked at that one page which is now 2 years old - so you might want to check out later pages to see if Logitech ever fixed those issues.

Second - try a search for "Mac webcams". On the first page of returns - at the top of the page click on the "Search Tools" button and change 'Anytime' to 'Past month' or 'Past Year' to find items relevant to a newer Mac running a current version of OS X.

I would also suggest you search at Amazon - reviews there can be quite helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.