Leopard - New Internal or External HD

Reaction score
I just upgraded to leopard and my hard drive is too small.
I heard it's a pain to upgrade my internal hard drive, is this true?
Or can I just use an external hard drive for the windows partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It is as easy as pie to upgrade a hard drive

But what mac do you have, this is important to know because if effects the size of internal hard drive you can have

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Also, you can't install Windows on an external hard drive (not without some serious hacking)

OP
P
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that the apple store told me you can't upgrade a MacBook Pro.
I have a MacBook Pro 15", 1.83.
But how do you transfer all the data to the new harddrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display
While it is quite involving, changing the HDD in a Macbook Pro is not that hard... according to the how-to I saw...

I would suggest you get a new internal HDD rather than an external one. Because you have a notebook, I assume you want to carry your data with you without having to carry an external HDD...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Do know, that if you upgrade your internal hard drive you will void your warranty. If I were you I would get a portable FW hard drive, these don't need an external power source (they run over the power that the FireWire port provides). Just carry it around with you when you need it an leave it at home on your desk when you don't. After a few years, when your warranty expires, I would go for the internal upgrade then (that's what I plan to do).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.