iMac for video editing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD
Greetings,

I've never purchased a mac, but looks like I will be making the switch here in the next few weeks. I've been trying to decide between an iMac & a Mac Pro & I think I'm leaning toward the iMac 24".

I want to do video editing, & will probably need enough juice to edit a feature length video with multiple edits & audio tracks. My question is this:

1) Can the iMac cover my video needs if I end up doing extensive video work?

and

2) I know I want at least 2 GB of Ram. I would consider the 3 GB, but I've always heard that getting Ram in even increments is most effecient. Your thoughts?

I'd love any feedback I can get on these subjects.

Oh, I'd probably start working in iMovie, but figure I'll end up going with Final Cut.

Thanks!

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
1) IMO, you are leaning towards the best option. iMac 24' is good choice for video editing and it has a large enough screen. Mac Pro is perhaps an overkill.

2)I am not sure about that but what I know is by having two matching RAM sticks, you can get the best out of your Mac (optimum use of dual-channel memory architecture).

OP
jeffk27
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I'm a little leery of the iMac not having much upgrade potential, but they seem to have quite a bit of bang right out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.