should I get a mac mini or iMac ?

Reaction score
Hi people,

This is my first post here (i think) so hello to everyone.

Anyway..

I've just bought myself Logic Pro 7 so now its time to think about a computer to run it on :)

Money is a bit tight so I've been looking at the mini's I just wanted to know how people think these perform? I've been using logic 5 on my PC for years now and it runs ok, but as my computer is a bit old it has trouble when you get anything more than about 10 softsynth's going (with effects)

I produce mainly electronic dance music, so I never do any multi track recording or anything like that. I just need a computer that'll be able to run logic and handle loads of software instruments with effects and several audio tracks. Is a mini with 1GB ram gonna meet my needs or should I save a bit and get a iMac ??

I know this has been discussed before, but most of the reply's that I could find were re: the old pre intel models.

Many thanks people.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome here, mharris! Enjoy your stay!

I think personally the iMac is more buck for your money.

The 17-inch model with 2.0GHz processor is hard to beat with dedicated Video RAM, a 160GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive and the SuperDrive. Also consider the screen is drop-dead gorgeous.

Compare this with the Mac Mini specs. Sure there is a price difference but you'll need a monitor.

Also, check out Logic Pro's requirements.

With either of those Macs you would need to add RAM anyway.

My two cents.
icon7.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
i would defantly have to agree with MacHeadCase and say that the iMac is a much better choice. You can get the 17" pretty cheap and it is much better then the mac mini.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for yer reply's people.

Im starting to come around to that way of thinking. I've already got a 15inch CRT but im thinking im soon gonna want to upgrade that, so if I include the price of a new flat panel were pretty much looking at the cost of an iMac anyway.

Looking at the options, is it worth getting the 2ghz one cause I wont be needing the ATI graphics or the DVD burner. I guess my question is in music production terms, is the extra £120 for the 2Ghz model gonna give me much advantage?

M

MacHeadCase

You'd be surprised how much we eventually need a DVD burner. I take photographs and I soon thanked the stars I bought the SuperDrive model in my iMac G4 because the files were so large at one point.

Music files can be pretty big too.

Ok so I'm manic when it comes to taking pictures!
icon12.gif

But when you're at your 10th CD burning session, your mind's gears starting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
get a 17" imac 2.ghz. i have one of them and they go like a rocket !

i would have thought it would run logic very well as well.

and they have a superdrive as standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Hi people,

This is my first post here (i think) so hello to everyone.

Anyway..

I've just bought myself Logic Pro 7 so now its time to think about a computer to run it on :)

Money is a bit tight so I've been looking at the mini's I just wanted to know how people think these perform? I've been using logic 5 on my PC for years now and it runs ok, but as my computer is a bit old it has trouble when you get anything more than about 10 softsynth's going (with effects)

I produce mainly electronic dance music, so I never do any multi track recording or anything like that. I just need a computer that'll be able to run logic and handle loads of software instruments with effects and several audio tracks. Is a mini with 1GB ram gonna meet my needs or should I save a bit and get a iMac ??

I know this has been discussed before, but most of the reply's that I could find were re: the old pre intel models.

Many thanks people.

Make sure you take a look at what is available from apple's refurb area. From the discussion, the below link is probably what you're needing :

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...T0Ng7n/2.0.0.21.1.0.8.7.3.5.1.1.7.1.5.1.2.5.0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.