Cannot Reboot with Installation CD

Reaction score
Big time help please:(

MacBook 10.4
SMART status: Not Supported

Computer crashed and I installed the OS X installation CD but all options grayed out. I select the HD in the left panel, but can access nothing under the tabs "First Aid", "Erase", "Partition" - but i do seem to have options with the "Restore" tab.

My guess is the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced, but I'm hoping if that is NOT the case, there is some super cleaver way to diagnose. Any suggestions? THANK YOU!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Sorry, there is no "super clever" way to proceed with diagnosing the machine. Your hard drive is likely dead and needs to be changed out for a new one. Unless you've been making backups, your data has probably been lost. Your MacBook is an older model if it was running Tiger. Might be a good time to upgrade it to Snow Leopard when you change out the hard drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you very much for this fast reply!

I have an iMac and MBP running snow leopard. This older MacBook belongs to a friend I am trying to help out. I'm hoping someone in this forum and explain to me what "Not Supported" for SMART status means, because I'm reading that "Failed" means the HD is "bad" and needs to be replaced. I'm hoping to find a solution like firewire to my MBP and boot from that installation disk or use terminal to gather more info. Can someone help me get to the bottom of this situation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
SMART status not supported means the self monitoring ability of the drive is not supported as is usually the case with a hard drive that's being used externally (USB, Firewire, etc) or a drive that's defective. As I said in my first reply, the drive is likely dead. Not much sense worrying about SMART status anyway. The drive needs to be replaced.

BTW, here's a good definition of SMART from Wikipedia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.