• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best Format for Downloaded Youtube Videos?

Reaction score
I'm downloading videos from Youtube to help me learn some new drumming techniques. I've been using Zamzar to download from Youtube onto my MBP and then play them using VLC which works great because VLC can slow down the video enough for me to see what's going on. But in order to see details in full screen I need to have the best looking video.

I've seen the same video downloaded from Youtube as 'video.mp4' and from the authors website as '.avi' and when both are played on VLC the .avi looks much better.

My question is, Zamzar allows you to choose from many formats to convert the video to. Which format should I choose in order to get the best video? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21.5'' 3.06ghz, Mac Pro 2.66ghzx4, Powermac G4 1.25ghz, IMac 17'' 1.8ghz
1. Quicktime .mov
2. Windows Media Player .wmv

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys. As you can see I am a total noob at DV so I'm really talking out my **** on this stuff. My goal is simply to download videos, mainly from Youtube, and use VLC because it can slow down the video (I'm learning how to drum).

I'm really just learning about this stuff (DV) so I'm just trying to figure out if a downloaded video can be improved apon, especially since I like to be able to watch the video in full screen and in slow motion. I don't know if anything can be done by the method it's downloaded or by using some application such as Handbrake afterwards.

Currently I'm just going the route of double clicking on Activity while the video is playing in Safari to download it then just playing it on VLC. Seems ok but if there's a way to improve on it then I'll try it. Thanks for all your help (and patience).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.