anyone recycle their macbook through apple?

Reaction score
I think apple uses a third party company, but I was wondering if anybody knows what is done with the recycled macbook? Is it re-used for parts or destroyed? I had my macbook wiped at an apple store, but I get very paranoid about private info being recovered (passwords, credit card info...)
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple does use a third party to recycle. However, I don't know if the recycler destroys them, takes them apart, or gives them to needy people. Give Apple customer service a call and ask or inquire at your local Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I think apple uses a third party company, but I was wondering if anybody knows what is done with the recycled macbook? Is it re-used for parts or destroyed? I had my macbook wiped at an apple store, but I get very paranoid about private info being recovered (passwords, credit card info...)
Thanks.

If you're really worried, physically destroy the hard drive, and send the rest to be recycled. A hammer will suffice. (my local recycling center will take bashed hard drives ;) )

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks.

What you may not realize is...the 3rd party company Apple uses is a reseller called "PowerOn". I ran an example of a 2009 MacBook Pro. Apple is not going to "give" you $335 for a used computer to "recycle" it.

The 2009 MacBook Pro will be shipped to PowerOn...they will check it out to make sure it is operational...send the previous owner a check for $335...then markup the price to it's true market value of around $500-$550...and resell it for $500-$550...thus making a financial gain.

If you want to call this "recycling" fine...but to me this is "reselling" (selling a used computer from one person to another person). There are lots & lots of companies that do this all this time...and I don't need Apple to do this. In fact...it's possible that someone may actually get a better price via a company not associated with Apple (shop around for the best price).

Sure...if a computer, iPod, iPhone, etc. is an absolute piece of junk no longer usable...then "recycling" it responsibility is the way to go. But in many many many cases...the older electronics folks are getting rid of still have some residual value. And if someone is getting a check for the value of that item...then this is really not recycling...it's reselling.

Using the term "recycling" in this situation is really a misuse of the term...what's really happening is "reselling". Most folks think of "recycling" as when an item is destined for the garbage dump...and they don't want the hazardous materials in an electronic item ending up in the environment...leading to pollution, contamination of ground water, etc.

Don't be fooled by this "Apple Recycling Program". Apple is simply working with a 3rd party company called "PowerOn" who is a reseller of electronics.

And the problem here is...Apple gives you an Apple Gift Card for the value of your item (PowerON reimburses Apple). Now you're stuck with an Apple gift card worth hundreds of dollars that you may or may not want or need. If you sold a computer to a reseller directly...you would get the equivalent of cash that you can spend on ANYTHING...not just products at the Apple Store.

But again...Apple's program has other segments to it...that does facilitate the recycling of older "junk"/worthless electronics for free. But then again...many communities already have these sort programs already setup...so we really don't need Apple to facilitate this either.

Basically the Apple recycling program is just a way for Apple to get some positive "PR" to make it look like (as an electronics company)...that they are being responsible. The problem is...Apple is actually benefiting financially...since they are giving folks Apple gift cards for the value of their electronics..."locking" them into spending their money with Apple. If the electronics were sold independently of Apple (say Craig's List, e-Bay, and any other reseller of electronics)...the seller would get the equivalent of CASH...and can spend it on ANYTHING. Not just another Apple product!

End of editorial!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice one Nick! I didn't realize Apple was doing that. I honestly thought they were really "recycling" through a third party and not re-selling.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nice one Nick! I didn't realize Apple was doing that. I honestly thought they were really "recycling" through a third party and not re-selling.

Thanks Charlie!:) Apple has been doing this (I think) at least for a couple years. I think that I've answered a few questions from members previously about this...but this is the first time I went "all-out"...writing such a detailed response.

I mean hey...it's great that Apple is doing what they can to help with the disposal of unwanted or no longer needed electronics. But really...all Apple is really doing is establishing relationships with 3rd party folks who are actually doing the work. These 3rd party folks (or other folks that do exactly the same thing) could be independently contacted without Apple's involvement.

My problem mostly is...Apple is benefitting from this "recycling" program with the whole Apple Store gift card process...since the "money" folks get for their older electronics (via this program) can only be used at the Apple Store (you're locked in). Fine if someone needs a new Apple product...but not so cool if the money could be put towards something else.

There are plenty of used electronics hardware resellers on the internet...more than willing to purchase folks unwanted/no longer needed computers & other electronics. And you then get the equivelent of cash...instead of a possibily unwanted/not needed Apple Store gift card.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.