Restricting apps for domain users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
Hello,

I'm part of a desktop support team and we've got a new user that is going to be using an iMac. Now we are a 99.9% Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 network, in fact, I think this is the one and only Mac we use... and as such, we don't know much about setting it up. I use an iMac at home so I know the basics, but never used one on a corporate network..

Just wanted one or two quick pointers.

I've managed to set it up on our Active Directory domain, done a few basic security measures, but I want to be able to restrict non-admin users from being able to use certain bundled apps, such as the App Store. I can see that everything we want to do is available in the "Parental Controls" feature in System Preferences, but I can't seem to work out how I can set this up for a network/domain account, or preferably for anyone who isn't in a specific group.

Any ideas? :(

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Ideally you would use an OS X server and create a dual directory login between OD and AD. Then use the OS X server preferences to block the apps. Similar to group policy. Because AD cannot manage OS X machines you need the OS X server to assist with that. For one user it might be overkill, but it depends on the company policy.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case. Our management are such tight wads it's hard enough trying to get a Windows server out of them, let alone an OS X server :(

They were even skeptical about letting someone have an iMac, but they came to an agreement that we won't support it. They can have it, but if they break it, that's their problem, not ours... which is all well and good, but they didn't seem to think about how we would go about setting it up for them in the first place... Our management's usual problem.

I think one of the major issues is the Mac App Store. Is there any safe way to remove this?

And thinking about it, if the user isn't an admin, will they be able to install applications anyway? Would this technically render the App Store pretty useless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Honestly,...If you are the IT department and really want to block the App Store, I would do it via DNS and Firewall rules.

Problem Solved.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good point, hadn't thought of that. Now you say it, I'm not sure if it'll even work with the way our network is setup.

I'll give it a go on Monday when I'm back in the office. Cheers :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.