Panter wont read harddrive os9.2 wont let me format it

D

Dasteve00G3

I just used a program called Darik's boot and Nuke to format a hardrive, i zeroed it out with the quick erase method. (took about 90 min) Unplugged the 9 GB HD that has panther on it, plugged in this 40 gb hd, Panther install does not see it, put in old OS 9.2 disc and it sees it but doesnt seem to be able to do anything to it, Any ideas on how to get this formatted so I can install Panther on the 40 GB. I thought I read you had to format it with an OS 9 cd which i have anyone have step by step instructions if that is the case? Thanks a million!!!!

Reaction score
When you boot with Panther did you try formatting with Disk Utility ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You will need to make an 8 GB partition first, then you can install OS X on the drive.
Apple said:
the 8 GB limitation applies specifically to these computers:
PowerBook G3 Series, excluding PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze Keyboard). See Related documents below.
Power Macintosh G3 Desktop
Power Macintosh G3 Mini Tower
Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One
Macintosh Server G3
iMac 233 MHz
iMac 233 MHz/B
iMac 266 MHz
iMac 333 MHz
iBook
iBook (FireWire)
Source Article

OP
D

Dasteve00G3

So if the most it can hold is 8 GB theres really no point in installing panther on the 40 GB, unless i could use the extra 32 for storage? The 40 GB does not show up when running panther on the 8GB HD in disk utiltly but it does see the hd when the os 9 disc is in the cd drive. Not sure how to format through os 9. I am using the fat gray cable for the 40 GB (the one with the pins) and the stock HD already in it uses the one with the different connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Dasteve00G3 said:
So if the most it can hold is 8 GB theres really no point in installing panther on the 40 GB, unless i could use the extra 32 for storage?
Again, quoting the link :
The second partition could be just enough megabytes of unallocated space to offset the actual size of your disk, or it could be a significant portion. The choice of how to manage the disk space is up to you.
All you need to do is create a partition less than 8 GB to install OS X on. You can use the rest of the drive for whatever you want.

OP
D

Dasteve00G3

Ok but how do I get Panther to recognize my 40 Gb Hd, I know how to partition it from disk utitlity, but it won't show up under disk utility on panther, when i boot from os 9.2.1 cd it shows up under drive setup as

volume name type BUS ID LUN

<not supported> ATAPI 0 1 0 <40 GB not working>
<not mounted> SCSI 1 0 1 <8 GB with panther>

(it also shows the cd but i didnt firgure that was important)

when the not supported 40gb hd is highlighted it says "Cannot initialize a disk in an unsupported drive"

How do I get the mac to recognize this hd, I really apperciate all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.