Save as vs. Duplicate

Reaction score
Does Apple have any plans to "fix" this Duplicate feature and bring back Save as? Or at least give us an option to choose which one we like in the System Preferences? I miss Save as, and I've only had Lion for 5 days.

This Duplicate feature is not as fast and easy as the standard Save as feature. It takes me at least twice as long to save as a document than it use to, and considering that I save as everything since it is easier to reuse all my preamble information, it just takes me longer to do things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple hasn't publicized any plans, however I totally agree that they have made things dreadfully confusing by changing the names of that menu item. "Save as" worked fine. It has worked well all these years across platforms. Everyone knows that function by name. What it does is dead obvious. It's what we are accustomed to. Calling it something else was wholly unnecessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I agree it's not a good feature, along with auto-locking my Pages documents forcing me to manually unlock them if I haven't used them for a while.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's just that Duplicate adds more steps to the process:
1) I have to use the mouse to click File and then click Duplicate.
2) A new window opens up.
3) I have to save that new window separately.
4) Most of the time I have to go through the folders to find where the original file was. (I use the mouse here.)
5) Then I have to choose as what type of file is this new document going to be saved. (I want to save it as the same type of file, i.e., as a Tex Document, not a Plane Text File.)
6) Then I click save.
7) I have to go back and close the original file.

With Save as:
1) I can use Shift-Comand-S.
2) The Save as menu comes up already at the folder where the original file was.
3) I can simply type a new name for the file.
4) When I hit Enter (or click save), it is saved as the same type of file.
I can do all this with out touching the mouse.

Why reinvent the process and make it less convenient?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.