PowerBook USB Waking?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
If I close my PowerBook and let it sleep and then unplug a USB cable, it wakes it back up, even though it is still closed.
For example, if I'm packing my powerbook up to take it to the library or to class, I close it and then unplug the cables before putting it in my bag.
I can unplug everything and it's fine, but when I unplug the USB cables for either my HP Printer or my ATI Remote Wonder reciever, it wakes.
It's not necessarily bad, but it's annoying because I have to open it to wake it up and then close it to put it back to sleep.
Is this normal?
Is there any way to prevent it?
It's annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
xwonderboy85x said:
If I close my PowerBook and let it sleep and then unplug a USB cable, it wakes it back up, even though it is still closed.
For example, if I'm packing my powerbook up to take it to the library or to class, I close it and then unplug the cables before putting it in my bag.
I can unplug everything and it's fine, but when I unplug the USB cables for either my HP Printer or my ATI Remote Wonder reciever, it wakes.
It's not necessarily bad, but it's annoying because I have to open it to wake it up and then close it to put it back to sleep.
Is this normal?
Is there any way to prevent it?
It's annoying!
This is normal, yes. I think it should go back to sleep if you don't open and then reclose it, im not sure but i think it does.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like aantoine90 said that is normal. I find it better to remove all pluged in items before I put it to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
for piece of mind i would just til the screen until it is almost closed, and then unplug everything....and then continue to close your powerbook

this is what i do at least
-chris

C

Cloudane

Yes it's annoying, yes it's normal and no there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it *shrugs*

As coach says, just unplug before sleeping and plug in before waking. It's annoying as I often forget to do that too, but it's all you can do.

G

General_K

aantoine90 said:
This is normal, yes. I think it should go back to sleep if you don't open and then reclose it, im not sure but i think it does.

Yep, if you don't open it up, it'll go back to sleep after 15-20 seconds.

T

Toanjii

Same here. It's normal. I should go back to sleep after a few seconds. Happens when I remove my USB mouse to pack up and go.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Okay, that's what I figured... Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok Ill take it a bit further.. I have everything unplugged, yet when I put my powerbook to sleep it wakes up a couple seconds later, then it goes back to sleep for a second, then wakes up again and keeps doing that until I log back in or do something so that it breaks the cycle. If I close the lid.. it eventually goes to sleep and stays asleep and then when I open it back up, it wakes up quickly. Any ideas of what to look for?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.