Mac Pro Odor Problem: A Success Story

Reaction score
For a history of the problem, see this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=393576

I recently took my 3-month-old Mac Pro in for service, since the fumes were not dissipating and I could no longer leave the office window open due to the colder weather. Based on suggestions from others with the same problem, I told the tech that I wanted the thermal compound removed from the processor heatsinks and the bare minimum of new compound applied once they were clean. When I picked it up, he told me that "there was a LOT of excess thermal paste on the processors."

I've had the machine back for a week now, running daily to burn off the smell from the new paste. As of today, the smell is completely gone.

I don't know what's in that paste, but I hope it's not a health hazard. It sure did burn the back of my throat every day for the last 3 months. Hopefully, Apple has, or will, correct this problem on future machines.

Christmas wish: Someone will develop a "green" non-toxic thermal paste.

Good luck to others with this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, I think in that thead it is mentioned that the smell is coming from the thermal paste. Luckily, I haven't had that problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
cool success story.

Strange that the thermal paste makes the smell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.