w3schools certifications - genuine or bogus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
I've been trying to teach myself web programming and ran across w3schools.com, a site with LOADS of information and tutorials on HTLM, XML, CSS, Javascripting, SQL, .NET, and so on. The information seems reliable (at least, from the point of view of a novice), but they also offer their own certifications in various web "fields."

Does anyone know anything about this group, or even perhaps have any of the certifications? My gut feeling is that the info may be solid but that the certs are...how shall I put this....lightweight stuff (and thus not taken seriously in the industry).

Curious as to anyone else's thoughts and opinions....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, seeing that W3 Schools more or less set many of the standards on the web, I would say they're pretty reliable.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
Well, seeing that W3 Schools more or less set many of the standards on the web, I would say they're pretty reliable.

Actually, I don't think w3schools is affiliated or run by the W3 Consortium; they appear simply to be advocates of W3C standards and publish their info to that end. This is what raised questions in my mind about their certifications (since they appear to be a separate group from W3C).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3schools

(I don't usually rely on Wikipedia as gospel, but this is the quickest link I could find.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Actually, I don't think w3schools is affiliated or run by the W3 Consortium; they appear simply to be advocates of W3C standards and publish their info to that end. This is what raised questions in my mind about their certifications (since they appear to be a separate group from W3C).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3schools

(I don't usually rely on Wikipedia as gospel, but this is the quickest link I could find.)

AFAIK W3Schools <> W3C. Their certifications just certify that you've completed their tests, they probably don't carry any academic weight. Having said that, the fact that you did pass them has to count for something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
A certification is only as useful as someone says it is. An employer may or may not care that you have it, it depends on what they put value on. Some employers are cert crazy and want you to have as many as you can. I do web application development for a smaller consulting company, and I've never heard of anyone asking about those certs, but that doesn't mean that other people don't value them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.