Heads up on Lion Superdrive *fake* glitch, possibly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
I'm running an '08 Macbook Pro (2.53 processor, 4 gig memory) 15 inch.

Upgraded to Lion last week. Loving it. However, straight after the update I noticed my superdrive wouldn't recognise (mount) CDs, though it would play DVDs just fine. I assumed that my drive was on the way out or maybe busted, as I did some forum trawling elsewhere and it seems there is evidence that this can sometimes happen (ie: the CD optics can fail but DVD optics carry on working).
But, I thought this was somehow way too coincidental, as it was working fine before the Lion upgrade and only stopped working right after the update.

So, I went into System preferences > CD & DVDs > and turned off the standard preferences I had selected, then went back in & turned them all back on again (same as my old settings) and the drive now works fine. :)

Just a heads up that this "glitch" may not be a failing drive, but more likely a system upgrade bug that is easily cleared.
If it at least saves *one* trip for *one* person to a Mac store, it's worth my time typing this.

cheers :D

Karlos

Reaction score
Worked for me

Strange but its seemed to work for me too.

Consider me the *one* person you've saved a trip to the Apple store

Signed up especially to thank you and almost forgot.

Cheers karlos2000!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that heads up. Hopefully that will explain my problem. Doubt it though since mine pre-dates Lion.

Reaction score
Super drive upgrade to Lion issue

Hi Turning off the system preferences for CD/DVD worked for me too

Thanks!!!::D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^^ So happy a 2 yr old thread is still helping folk's out.
Glad it helped you Kyle :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.