Time Machine Won't Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 12GB RAM OSX 10.13.5
I have been trying to back up my iMac 21.5inch - Mid 2011 (running Lion 10.7.5) using Time Machine. The backup target disk is a Seagate "Backup Plus For Mac" 500GB external drive, connected with a USB 3.0 cable:(.

Every time I have tried to back up, Time Machine will run for a few minutes and stop with a message that the "disk has been improperly disconnected". Then my iMac freezes and I have to do a hard reboot.

The disk was not disconnected at any time during the backup. The Seagate disk checks out as fine. I have tried reformatting the disk with not results.

Any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did a little digging about this with the help of the great Google monster and have not found anything specific yet. I did find out that some models of this drive ship with a piece of Paragon software to make it useful for Mac and PC. That is making me wonder how your drive is formatted. Here is what I would try:

With the drive connected and mounted in the Finder press Command I to bring up the Get Info window. If the drive will be used with Time Machine it must be formatted HFS+ extended, journaled. If the drive needs to be formatted you can do that from Disk Utility.

BTW is this drive powered from the USB port or does it have a separate power cord. The error you are getting sounds suspiciously like the drive is formatted correctly but not getting enough power. This sometimes happens with US bus-powered drives that must be connected to two ports.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The backup target disk is a Seagate "Backup Plus For Mac" 500GB external drive, connected with a USB 3.0 cable.

Just a thought here..... since your 21.5" 2011 iMac does not support USB 3.0 drives as USB 3.0, that may be the problem. I know that USB 3.0 drives are supposed to be backward compatible with USB 2.0. Sometimes, they're not. I'm basing that on personal experience. I have the same exact machine you have and had to return a USB 3.0 drive to Best Buy because it did not work right with my iMac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 12GB RAM OSX 10.13.5
thank you

Thanks for the assistance, Slydude and chscag!

This drive is powered by the USB connector. Since I have already reformatted the drive as indicated, the power cord may be the issue.

I don't think I will be able to return it to Best Buy, so I guess I just have another external drive for movie and music.

Is there another drive that either of you would recommend?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.