iPhone Tethering

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to posting on here as usually any problem I've had has already been solved by someone on this site. However I now seem be in a situation with no solution as yet.*

Me and a friend have gone in together on sharing an Internet package. We live across the hall from each other in the same block. Our thinking was the wifi would easily cover both of us. Sadly it doesn't reach to my back room where office setup is and if we move it she has the same problem.*

So I had an idea that I could leave my iPhone in the front of the apartment where there is a strong signal and tether it to my MacBook Pro so I can *access the Internet out the back.*

I've already created the connection between both my MacBook Pro and iPhone using a USB to Cat5 convertor which works, as my phone charges when it's connected. The length of the cable is roughly 15m and my MacBook does detect a new network signal which it calls "Ethernet Adaptor (en 2)". However, it then says "The cable for*Ethernet Adaptor (en 2) is not plugged in" when it is. Though the cable that's plugged in is actually USB.*

I'm at a loss. I thought I'd cracked it but this has stumped me. Is it because it thinks it's ethernet when actually it's a USB cable plugged into my MacBook?

I know I can tether using the personal hotspot and mobile data but this costs me more money. If I can get my MacBook to understand that the cable is connected then I'm hoping it will access the wifi signal my phone is receiving.*

Any ideas on this would be a great help.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
have you tried extending your wifi network so you can get more coverage & better signal..

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes with no reward, hence the elaborate nature of my current attempt. I hoping this can be solved without spending any more money on it. My budget is essentially non-existent.

Reaction score
Why not just run a Ethernet cable across the hallway, like on the ceiling, and set up another Router in your area set up as just an Access Point with a different SSID then what hers is.

OP
N
Reaction score
Is there not a way to make my MacBook understand? Perhaps a custom configuration or something? This is a completely unknown area for me and so not sure if this is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You're MacBook isn't detecting the phone, it's detecting the adapter.

iOS isn't geared up to share a wifi signal out to USB - that's not how tethering is designed to work. The principle being that If you can get a wifi signal you can connect your Mac. I know that doesn't help you're situation but you're trying to use the iPhone out of it's intended use.

Have you considered a long USB cable and a wifi adapter? But I'm certain, a cheap wireless bridge, configured correctly would do the trick to.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks shootist and mrplow,

This is a real help. I wondered if I might have been trying the impossible.
Will look into the repeater/bridge.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.