How to recognice an motherboard imac 350 from a 400

C

claudio

I need to know how can I tell the difference from a motherboard with a 350 CPU and one with a 400 CPU.

The problem I have is that I think my motherboard is dead and I'm looking for replacements.

I Found a motherboard that could be a 400 but its really suspicious....

a) The number is XXX -1131 -a the first nummbers could be 820
b) is HAS an external monitor conector
c) has not Firewire connectors.

As far as I know all 400 have fire wire but none 350s have external monitor conector....

What is it then....

I send a foto as attachment.

imac-board.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
you may wanna e-mail these specs to an Apple store. Not many Mac users know this much about hardware service. ;)

OP
C

Chamorro

claudio said:
I need to know how can I tell the difference from a motherboard with a 350 CPU and one with a 400 CPU.

The problem I have is that I think my motherboard is dead and I'm looking for replacements.

As far as I know all 400 have fire wire but none 350s have external monitor conector....

What is it then....

I thought most (if not all) G3 iMacs had VGA connectors for external monitors...they're just usually hidden beneath some plastic panels.

OP
C

claudio

But thats the weird thing, cause ALL the 350s that I've seen DON'T have external VGA connector......

Does someone has a 350 mobo WITH external VGA?
The Seller says he ripped it of an imac....maybe he could tell me the numbers in the sticker under the imac..... that'll be the best way......If he sends them :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Chamorro said:
I thought most (if not all) G3 iMacs had VGA connectors for external monitors...they're just usually hidden beneath some plastic panels.

The external VGA port was not added to iMacs until the DV editions came out in late 1999.
After that, pretty much all iMacs had them. It is located behind a removable panel on the back.
You can check all the specs on iMacs on Apple's site

OP
C

Chamorro

D3v1L80Y said:
The external VGA port was not added to iMacs until the DV editions came out in late 1999.
After that, pretty much all iMacs had them. It is located behind a removable panel on the back.
You can check all the specs on iMacs on Apple's site

That's funny...my Rev A has got one!

OP
B

Badger

claudio said:

What is it then....

The memory slots are for 168 pin chips introduced with the slot-loading iMacs. So, you are right that you are looking at either a 350 board w/ vga or a 400 board w/o firewire. Either way you are right to be suspicious. IMO - Unless you can get a clear identification wait for another one.

Badger

OP
B

Badger

In checking further I found some more info that may help: The 350 slot-loading iMacs had a VLSI chip, the one in the photo has a Lucent chip; the 400 sl-iMacs had two different motherboards. The early model had the firewire ports on a small, removable board and it had a central-mounted daughter board, the later board had the firewire ports on the main board and did not have a daughter board. My educated guess is that the picture is an early 400 board missing the firewire and daughter cards. I got this info from an Apple service manual I found at: http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.