G4 Slot drive problem

B

backerman

I have a powerbook G4, with combo drive, and it will not accept any disks. I recently ran the rrecovery disk and did not install os classic, or lost it??
I have tried to upgrade the firmware and and the os 10.2.8 software which has fixed this similar problem in the past but it will not work this time. is the drive hooped, or is this simply because os classic is not installed. Also, how do i install classic if my slot drive won't accept the software disk??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when you say 'wont accept', do you mean it wont even open, or if you insert a disc, it spits it back out? have you repaired permissions?

OP
B

backerman

The slot drive takes the disk but spits it out. i have tried to repair permissions and it did not help. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you recently installed any new hardware or software? try starting up holding shift to boot into safe boot mode without extensions, have you repaired permissions?

OP
B

backerman

slot drive

yes I have tried to repair permissions and it does not help.

OP
B

backerman

problem solved, I ran a lens cleaner and it seemed to work, I had already tried this and it rejected the disk but for some reason this time it caught. Thanx for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured itd be something as simle as that. any lenses, dvd player, cd player, mac superdrive, ps2, whatever, hould be cleaned after about every 10 hours of use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.