Unlocked iPhone 5 and Carrier Plans

Reaction score
Q1: I wanted to buy an iPhone 5 this year, but then i saw att's/Verizon's/and Sprint's plan prices. So, are these all the plans they've got for the iPhone 5, or are there cheaper ones on the carriers' websites? does Apple put those plans there on their online store when checking out because those are what they have, or to make you spend 80$ or so a month?
Q2: If this is truly all they have, I have some questions about the unlocked iPhone 5. If i were to get said device, I know it will work with tmobile, but with what plans. What I mean is: Just like att/Verizon/Sprint has those expensive plans for the iphone 5, will tmobile? can you simply get a cheaper 50$ a month plan from tmobile and still get the sim to be able to activate the phone.Please answer if you have any information. any small amount of info will help, thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, please do not cross post. (posting the same question to more than one forum) I removed your cross post.

The plans are what they are from each carrier: AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. If you have any questions regarding the plans such as prices, contact the carrier. Each carrier advertises their prices so you shouldn't have any difficulty finding out what they are. Apple does not sell the plans, only the iPhone.

T-Mobile will be deploying their own data plans for the iPhone sometime in mid 2013. Right now they are in the process of re-configuring their frequencies to comply with the iPhone in order to use 3G and 4G. No one has any idea how much T-Mobile will charge for their iPhone data plans.

As far as obtaining an unlocked iPhone 5, I don't believe they're available from Apple yet. And when they are, plan on spending big $$ to get one. You would be much better off getting a carrier subsidized iPhone and data plan with a two year contract.

OP
L
Reaction score
Apple does sell unlocked iphone 5s. Buy now>color select>then click the blue text at the bottom that says "or buy iphone 5 unlocked or no contract" 16gb model is 649.00$
Also, i went to tmobile's site to buy a nano sim, and it says it is compatible with an unlocked gsm device, which the unlocked iphone 5 is. So now I am even more confused with what you are telling me. I wasn't referring to tmobile selling the iphone as att/verizon/sprint does, i meant buying a nano sim from them along with a monthly plan to use the phone. Ive been told it will work because tmobile is a gsm carrier, which the unlocked only supports.

P.s.
Sorry for cross posting. I wasnt sure what category this type of question should go under, so I chose both.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you're correct about the iPhone 5, it's now available unlocked from Apple. And yes you can purchase the AT&T model and use a small SIM card that you can purchase from T-Mobile. Nothing new there as you can do the same thing with the iPhone 4S. However, you can not use the iPhone 3, 4, or 5 on T-Mobile's network as 3G or 4G because of the frequency differences. You will only be able to use that expensive iPhone as EDGE.

As I told you previously, you would be better off buying a subsidized iPhone with either carrier and get their data plan. After two years and your contract is over, they'll unlock it for you. Or, you can wait until mid 2013 (approximately) until T-Mobile switches over their frequencies to be compatible with 3G and 4G and buy the iPhone direct from them. I have no idea what they'll charge for the data plans but I do know their plans are the least expensive of all the major carriers.

BTW, there's no such thing as an iPhone 5s. I don't know where you got that from as the latest is the iPhone 5.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up, but I stll have one question. Will I be able to get the iphone 5 on any of tmobile's plans? Or are the iphone 5s (more than one iphone 5 not
A newer model :p) only compatible with certain plans? For example: there is a 55$ plan that has a certain amount of minutes, and unlimited texting, as well as a very small 200mb of internet acess. I dont mind the minutes because i don't talk to anyone, i usually text them. And i have wifi so ill only use the 3g i think it is, when i really need it. This is a great, affordable, average plan,but will I be able to get a plan like this on such an expensive phone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I guess I misread your notation about the 5. :) Yeah, I believe T-Mobile will make the iPhone 5 data plan the same as the ones they're currently charging. I've been talking with a lot of their sales people at our local store and they're definitely getting geared up for the iPhone rush.

They've got some great plans which will entice a lot of already iPhone users to switch. I've been using T-Mobile since from 2004 for both my wife and I and that has saved hundreds of $$. You want to make sure you get to your local store and reserve an iPhone and plan from them when they announce it. Another thing I like about T-Mobile is their easy pay plan with no interest when you buy a phone from them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for everything, I was worried the unlocked iphone only worked on specific plans with all that jumbojumbo unneeded share, 4glte, blah blah blah. I just want it to work and have unlimited texting. Anyways, thanks. Now I have one less thing to worry about haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.