Boot camp restart problems

Reaction score
My Macbook using OS-X Leopard has a Windows desktop which I access via Bootcamp. Two days ago the restart mechanism failed and the laptop was permanently stuck between the two systems. I took it into the Mac shop and the service team determined that it was a faulty logic board and replaced it. I got it back a few hours ago and just a few minutes ago tried to restart my Windows desktop only to find that I still can't get into Windows as the cursor is frozen and I can't switch back to Mac OS-X because I can't access Bootcamp without a working cursor. Can anyone tell me how to unfreeze the cursor so that I can get at my Windows programs and Bootcamp.
Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reboot the system and keep the OPTION key held down while booting. You should get a list of installed bootable volumes. Are you able to get into OS X at least going this route?

OP
K
Reaction score
Partial success but trackpad still frozen

Thanks very much for that - it did get me into my OS-X desktop so that's an enormous help.
Now has anyone any idea what is causing the cursor to freeze before I can get into Windows XP? I'm currently trying to get into Windows using safe mode but nothing seems to be happening there either. Just checked and I get the same lack of response in safe Mode - the trackpad is frozen, nothing is highlighted so I can't move to my admin area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks very much for that - it did get me into my OS-X desktop so that's an enormous help.
Now has anyone any idea what is causing the cursor to freeze before I can get into Windows XP? I'm currently trying to get into Windows using safe mode but nothing seems to be happening there either. Just checked and I get the same lack of response in safe Mode - the trackpad is frozen, nothing is highlighted so I can't move to my admin area.

Since OS X seems to be operating fine for you, it would seem the hardware isn't at fault. I suppose there is a remote chance that the hard drive got damaged somehow and is only affecting sectors that Windows is trying to read, but that's a really long shot. I don't know what it really could be, but I certainly don't see any solution short of reinstalling Windows.

Reaction score
Same issue new logic board and frozen cursor in Boot Camp?

Hi kamckenzie,

Are you still around?

I was searching the internet because after getting my Mac back from a repair that included replacing the logic board I found that when I tried to boot into Boot Camp my cursor is frozen in Windows, sound familiar?

I doubt that the HD is an issue, has anyone else experienced of heard of this problem?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The symptom you're experiencing is caused by Windows not being able to enumerate the new hardware. When your logic board was swapped out, that's new hardware to Windows. You can do one of two things to try to resolve the problem:

1. Repair Windows

2. Reinstall Windows

Reaction score
Hi chsag,

Thank you very much for the suggestions, everything works through Parallels okay I suppose because of the virtualization throughput.

Do you think running a repair in Parallels would help at all?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, you'll have to run the repair by booting to Windows with your Windows CD.

You should be able to find detailed instructions on how to do a repair by searching the MS KB or just do a general web search. Be careful repairing Windows though, don't overwrite or accidentally "repair" OS X instead.

Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Thank you again especially on a Saturday!

It's weird because when I boot into Boot Camp Windows boots fine. I discovered that the keyboard is functional when I use the control-alt-delete keys the Task Manager pops up on the desktop. Maybe different drivers are used for the keyboard than the cursor?

I just entered a support ticket with Parallels to see if they have a simple and painless solution. If they do I will post here for others experiencing a similar issue.

I might just pay for a phone support incident 'if' they have a solution, I have not experienced very good email support with this company.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.