Share disks over WAN via Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Hi, I've been all over the internet and found so many conflicting tutorials on how to do this, not to mention most of them are from a few years ago. Can anyone please give me some guidance on setting up my AEBS with an external hard drive so I can access it from outside my home network?

I'm guessing that I'm correct in my thinking that I need to go to Airport Utility, then Disks, then make sure there's a checkmark in the box for "Share Disks Over WAN."

Now, should I select "With a device password" or "With a disk password"? Also, can I leave "Remember this password in my keychain" checked? I don't understand anything about networking, and I'm concerned about safety and security.

Also...what happens next? LOL I haven't gone beyond this point.

FYI, I'm using firmware version 7.6.3. I really don't want to download any extra programs or do a bunch of fancy stuff to accomplish this. I feel like there must be a user (read idiot) friendly way to do this, for people like me. After all, isn't that what Apple are renowned for?

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
There is no one who can at least point me in the right direction? Maybe there's a nice article somewhere that I may have missed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.