Macbook Pro and Limewire

M

MrMacMan

Hello there, this is my first post on this forum. I'm just wondering if anybody knows if Limewire will work on the mew intel macs. Or if it will run through rosetta. If not, are there any other ones other than Limewire that will work on the new intels?

I have a mac mini now and have installed limewire and it works great, but I don't think it's universal. I'm getting the new macbook pro soon and that's the one thing that I would still like to be able to do right away; download music.

I've been looking around the web, but can't seem to find any answers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

OP
M

MrMacMan

Never mind, I just checked out the Limewire website and they just released a new version. It allows you to use it on the new intel Macs.

Good news for Limewire fans who are getting or already have a new intel Mac.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
isnt limewire illegal?

OP
M

MrMacMan

If it was, then why do they keep coming up with new versions? Wouldn't they be in jail then??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I think you will find that none of the P2P software is illegal, however using it to download files that are copyrighted such as music/movie files for example is unless you have prior permission to do so.

It's the same deal with Bit Torrent clients as well I would imagine.

Hope this helps
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Like it is not illegal if you wanted to distribute someting you made to throw int on limewire or bittorrent, but if you were downloading something that was not licensed to be on limewire or bittorrent then it would be illegal to download them.

Reaction score
Bittorrent can very very useful for legally distributing large files to a large audience, instead of having to have massive servers for the peopel to download you can just seed it on bittorrent for a while and let the users do the rest.

The media often portray all p2p as being illegal, it's quite scary how the media can get certain facts slightly wrong and it changes people opinions drastically!

Reaction score
zeta101 said:
The media often portray all p2p as being illegal, it's quite scary how the media can get certain facts slightly wrong and it changes people opinions drastically!

I would be surprised if even 10% of P2P network traffic was for legal distributions.

Reaction score
mynameis said:
I would be surprised if even 10% of P2P network traffic was for legal distributions.

You are absolutely right, it's probably a lot less than that. That's not the point though, the point is that people seem to think if you have or use p2p software then you are doing something illegal, as shown by christm's post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
wow

wow thanks for a load of replies. i understand now.

cheers

chris :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.