Hard drive Space??

Reaction score
Hi guys,
i bought a PB a week ago and this is the 1st mac that i have owned so i have lots of questions that i need answers to!!
The thing that is on my mind at the moment is the size of the hard drive. i purchased a 15" superdrive with 80gb of hard drive space. I havent installed any programmes at the moment but the free space that I have is 66.57gb.
where has the space gone??

thanks for your explanations in advance.

C

Cloudane

Most likely a combination of the Mac OS X which takes up a fair chunk of the disk, and the fact that drives are advertised in gigabytes but free space reported in gibibytes. Two completely different measurements but often mistakenly quoted with the same term (GB) so hard drive manufacturers make their drives sound larger than they really are. That's why 4.7GB DVDs are actually 4.3GiB, 180GB drives are really 160GiB etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
wow, osx takes a lot of mem.. windoze is only like less than 6 gig for me ><

M

madRAM

pkny said:
wow, osx takes a lot of mem.. windoze is only like less than 6 gig for me ><

yip, but windows is not really the same as Mac OS X. That would be like comparing a Fiat Panda to a Mercedes. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the basic mac os x only takes up about 3 gigs, if you installed ilife 04, thats another 3 gigs, and any apps, fonts, screensavers, etc all add up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.