Replacing the library folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4, 1GHZ, 1.5GB Ram, 320GB, 320GB, 250GB HDs, Mac OS 10.4.11
Hi.

I recently got a new hard drive and I was wanting to transfer all the stuff from my old hard drive to my new one.

I couldn't use Migration Assistant because the other computer i stuck my old hard drive in didn't have firewire. So booting off an os 9 disk (yes its an old computer) i could only use the chooser to manually move files from my old hard drive to the new one using AppleShare and Ethernet. The problem I am having is replacing the new Library folder with the one in my old hard drive.

I assume I have to do this in single user mode, since files in the library folder are always in use.

Anyone know how?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You probably need to use Super Duper to clone your drive

You may be able to do this by connecting the other drive to the eMacs DVD connector (temporarily disabling and disconnecting the dvd drive

Then you can mount both drives and use super duper to clone your ols set-up to the new drive, see here

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

I would not try a manual transfer - since it most likely will not work

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4, 1GHZ, 1.5GB Ram, 320GB, 320GB, 250GB HDs, Mac OS 10.4.11
Thanks for that it worked great :D

I did notice that alot of applications froze when i booted off my new hard drive after putting the old hard drive in place of the cd drive. System Preferences and Super Duper would freeze as soon as I opened them. So I had to boot off my old hard drive, which was probably the best thing to do anyway, since it erases the hard drive that you are copying to.

But once I took my old hard drive out and put the cd drive back in everything seemed to work fine :)

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.