External HD not recognized, OSX freezing

Reaction score
I just noticed that time machine hasn't been backed up in a few days, and the hd icon in finder isn't present. When I open time machine and select 'back up now', I am told that the backup volume cannot be mounted. The hd is connected as normal, the light is on (it's a WD, if it matters), but time machine can't see it and the drive will not show in finder. If it matters at all, twice today I have had my usage pegged past 100% because of 'diskarbitrationd', with three 'mount_hfs' running under it at about 40% each, and both times the system froze and I had to power down manually. I don't have any idea what this means, but thought that it may be relevant. Thanks for reading.

BTW, i'm running a macbook with osx 10.5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your external WD is having problems.

Open Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility, and highlight the WD. Select First Aid, and do a verify and repair. Report back the results.

Regards.

OP
Qslim
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I opened disk utility, and when I select the drive in question, the options to verify and repair are greyed out, so I cannot do either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi again:

Looks like it's time to replace the WD. When Disk Utility refuses to repair a drive (options not available) it's usually because the drive mechanism itself has failed rendering the drive unreadable.

Unless the drive has data on it that you badly need, I would replace it. If there is data on it that you must have, post back and we can suggest some software that might work to get your data back.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.