Computer lacks IP address

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just got my new mac and it has had no problems connecting to the internet. I brought it with me to a bar with Wi-fi today that wouldn't work, and then when i brought it back to my house with wireless the airport symbol shows full internet speed but in the network settings it says i cannot connect to the internet because i do not have an IP address. I tried changing the server from a DHCP to a manual, taking someone else's computer in the house and using their IP address (but changing the last two digits) and nothing seems to work. Plus I'd rather be able to do this without a static IP. Help?

Reaction score
So it still didn't work when you tried someone else's computer?? You don't have enough details. First off id say you aren't connecting to your network but tyring to connect to the bar's still.... But it almost sounds like that other persons computer didn't work either.... So first improve your sentence structure, so I can actually understand your problem..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you are going to be roaming a bit then it needs to be set to Using DHCP in Sys Prefs/Network/Airport. If you will be using it most of the time in one place then it is well worth setting a Location for that place along with entering the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers for that ISP and select Automatic in Location when roaming. MenuBar airport icon tells signal strength but not if there is access control to that WiFi

Reaction score
If you are going to be roaming a bit then it needs to be set to Using DHCP in Sys Prefs/Network/Airport. If you will be using it most of the time in one place then it is well worth setting a Location for that place along with entering the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers for that ISP and select Automatic in Location when roaming. MenuBar airport icon tells signal strength but not if there is access control to that WiFi

That sounds like a lot of trouble.... Sounds like something for once that a pc does better..... Or explanation is bad..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.