Added memory - not recognizing "full value" of it on machine

S

Sproles

Well, I added a stick of 512 memory today to my iMac g4 (had 256) and once I dropped it in, I started it up and checked the System Profiler and it said that I now had 2 sticks of 256 memory. So, did CompUSA rip me off, is it just saying it has 256 when it is actually running/acting like it has an addt'l 512mb or is this machine limited to the amount of RAM I can add? I looked in the info and it said that I could go to 1mb of RAM, but this is not acting like it.

please advise.

Sproles

OP
S

sursuciofla

Sproles said:
Well, I added a stick of 512 memory today to my iMac g4 (had 256) and once I dropped it in, I started it up and checked the System Profiler and it said that I now had 2 sticks of 256 memory. So, did CompUSA rip me off, is it just saying it has 256 when it is actually running/acting like it has an addt'l 512mb or is this machine limited to the amount of RAM I can add? I looked in the info and it said that I could go to 1mb of RAM, but this is not acting like it.

please advise.

Sproles

Pull it out and then pop it back it and then see if that doesn't help. Sometimes the first time doesn't get it in there right. It happened to me. If it happens more than 3 or 4 times I would call or go to CompUSA and demand a replacement stick or full refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
try taking the 256 out then see if it shows up as 512mb

OP
B

Badger

This is often a symptom of the wrong memory or memory that doesn't match its specs. Unlike OS 9, OS X will recognize new memory automatically so you can't do much beyond verifying the installation.

OP
S

Sproles

the_New_guy said:
try taking the 256 out then see if it shows up as 512mb
I actually was going to take it out and add 2 sticks of 512, but could not get the stupid plastic cover off to access the "bottom" stick of memory. Any hints to how to remove that little booger?!

How can one confirm that they have installed the proper memory (short of having someone else do it - and THAT does not even guarantee it!)

Sproles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6

Sproles said:
I actually was going to take it out and add 2 sticks of 512, but could not get the stupid plastic cover off to access the "bottom" stick of memory. Any hints to how to remove that little booger?!

How can one confirm that they have installed the proper memory (short of having someone else do it - and THAT does not even guarantee it!)

Sproles

hey

sounds like they have given you

256mb or the an incompatible 512mb

keep us posted on whats hapening

an iBook maxed is way up at 2g - i think
regards

OP
S

Sproles

brendan67 said:
hey

sounds like they have given you

256mb or the an incompatible 512mb

keep us posted on whats hapening

an iBook maxed is way up at 2g - i think
regards
Well, when I got home toninght, the kids were trying to play THE INCREDIBLES on the mac and it was freezing up on them and telling them they had to restart the machine. Well, once I settled down that the MAC was crashing - I took the memory out and reinstalled it and THEN it recognied the fact that the memory WAS 512. However, the games was stilling hosing up and not workin gon the machine.

Previous to the additional memory, the game worked fine. ARGH - what should I do? Is the memory the cause of this problem or is unrelated and if it is unrelated, what is causing the game to shut down NOW when it was previously working fine?

And I thought the OS-X was soooooo stable! Not proving it to me yet!

Sproles

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Pull it out and then pop it back it and then see if that doesn't help. Sometimes the first time doesn't get it in there right. It happened to me. If it happens more than 3 or 4 times I would call or go to CompUSA and demand a replacement stick or full refund.

This reply has sexual connotations to it. I doubt if CompUSA could help in these matters or give you a replacement stick or refund either. :spook:

OP
B

Badger

Sproles said:

Sproles

Here's an upgrade guide that will help: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html.
The way to verify the memory is the way you did it; use System Information to check the slots.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.