Problems with size/dimensions of images.

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you can help. I have a problem and it's driving me insane.

So I'm on Adobe Photoshop. I'm creating a web banner and the dimensions are 500 x 500 pixels. Right? See below...

1.png

I save this banner as a JPG or PNG, click on the saved file and open it with PREVIEW, but for some reason it's doubled in size! See below....

2.png

I'm clicking on the 'info' and the dimensions still read 500 x 500, but in reality it has now doubled in size on my screen and is fuzzy and pixelated as a result. Rendering my web banner USELESS. Because when I try to upload it online onto Wordpress..etc, it's uploaded as this stretched and pixelated fuzzy image. :Not-Amused:

I don't know why the **** it's doing this. It's happening on both illustrator and photoshop. Does anyone know what's going on? :Shouting:

I'm using the Mavericks OSX on a new retina powerbook. This never used to happen on the previous one. :Oops:

Many thanks in advance for your time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just tried using "iDraw" to make a banner and the same thing is happening with that program too. So it looks like this isn't a problem with adobe illustrator/photoshop :-/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... you don't have a retina "Powerbook" since there is no such beast. You have a retina MacBook Pro. ;)

Check the resolution you're using in System Preferences, Displays, and make sure "Scaled" is not checked or selected. Other than that, I'm not sure what's happening.

OP
S
Reaction score
No it doesn't seem to be an issue with the display settings. It's not Scaled. It's always been on "Best for display"

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

OP
S
Reaction score
What happens when you choose "Actual Size" under "view" in Preview?

When I do that, it's zooming into the image and making it 200%. I mean it's not saying "200%", but it's pretty obvious from the size increase and pixelation.

I dunno what to do, this is so ridiculous :( :(

M

MacInWin

I'm no PS wizard, but in your first image you posted it shows 500 x 500 pixels, but then right below it 100 pixels per inch. If you want a one-inch square shouldn't that be 500 pixels/inch? Or 200 pixels/inch if it's truly doubling? Or does that not come into play?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.