Ftp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
i am having trouble with FTP set up on IWeb. Can someone tell me how to set it up? and how to set up with an FTP server please?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What version of iWeb are you using? If you are using 09, what seems to be the issue? Do you have your FTP username and password?

Here is a video on Apple's website about setting up iWeb 09 with FTP. Make sure to watch the FTP one and not the MobileMe one (select FTP in the video box that pops up).

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am using 09... an i have already seen that video. what i am asking is WHERE do i set up an FTP account?

and how do i fill in the following on IWeb 09?;
Server Address:
User Name:
Password:
Directory/ Path
Protocol:
Port:

AND is there ANY aditional changes i have to make to my computers settings?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Server Address, User Name and Password should have all been provided to you by your host. For directory/path, try / (this will put it at the top level of your account). Protocol should be FTP and try 21 for port.

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok how do i acquire a host?
what website do i go to?
and how much does it cost?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cost all depends on who you choose to be your host and what kind of hosting package you get. I use GoDaddy but there are many to choose from. What's your budget? Do you already have a domain or do you need that as well?

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unfortunately i have no budget :/ is there an alternative so that I can STILL use IWeb?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are plenty of free hosting services but not all of them will have FTP support. If they don't, you will have to upload the files manually using one of their supported methods for uploading. Unfortunately, I can't help you much in finding a good free host as I am unfamiliar with them and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. I'll lets someone else suggest a good one for you.

Note that with free hosts, you won't get your own domain. In other words, you won't get www.yoursite .com (had to put the space in there). It will be something like yoursite.webhost.com.

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh thank you thats a GREAT help to get me a great start.

do you know of ANY free ones that work with FTP?
just so i can get a start?

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i am using one server, it said it was successful, BUT!!! the site is NOT showing up on the web :/ WHY!? am i doing something wrong?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be one of many reasons. Could you be a little more specific?

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i am using Tripod, because i have had SO much success with them in the past. well i created ONE site, then my computer crashed... ANYWAY!

I fill it out as it says on tripod FTP upload

Site name-
email

server address ftp.tripod.com
username
password
directory i leave blank it tells me to
i enter the URL

could it be the URL? should i try a new one? because i tried it with another site, but when i did i could not view the site.

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OH when i try to publish i get the following error

Publish Error- There was an error communicating with the FTP server. Try again later, or check with your service provider

i test the connection in the FTP sercer settings on IWeb, it IS successful EVERY TIME without fail. but when i try to publish it comes up with that error

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does tripod have some sort of web based client for uploading files? If so, use that for now. To do so, simply have iWeb export your project to a folder. This should be in the File menu somewhere (don't have iWeb installed). Once this is done, you can then upload your files "manually".

Can I take it you were following this guide for FTP? Your leaving the directory blank? Your explanation of what you input for directory is confusing.

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah trying to upload it is the hard part. thats what i am trying to do right now but very unsuccessful

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't seem to be the only one having FTP/iWeb issues with Tripod (see here for instance). It could very well be a limitation with either iWeb or Tripod. Stick with publishing to a folder.

Have you tried something like Cyberduck to establish an FTP connection?

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well iDID get a site up, but I like what mobile me offers so ONCE i get a job I will sign up for it, i HOPE to get an apprenticeship with my favourite piercer :/ hopefully he can take me on XP... which means i can get a job later on in that... ANYWAY RAMBLING ON!

i did get my site up with a site called Yola... i dont like using these kinda sites tho XP no real customization -.- BUT i chose this one coz it has a blog and it seems easy... i WISH i could do that with Tripod >.- a blog inside the website...

Reaction score
hi there

hi it seems that iweb 09 has an ftp problem sorry
i have iweb 09 but it seems to work
just a hunch by the way but once you put in your ftp address in iweb click the box and then do apple a (select all) and retype the ftp address then click test connection also if the host/server is using windows xp it will not work use a host/server which uses mac or unix

hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.