Help help help please! iTunes music disappeared!

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and I was running Safari and iTunes. My computer froze and was completely unresponsive so I forced it to shut down and restarted. When it started again Safari ran fine but it wasn't until i opened iTunes* an hour later I found all my music had disappeared.

I've looked on forums and tried everything: I updated and restarted, I tried to repair disk permissions, I tried "Import a new playlist" to import the iTunes library and the .xml file but nothing works.

The weird thing is there are a few songs in it and they're the first songs I put on my iTunes like 4 years ago.

All of my music is in a folder iTunes Music but i don't want to have to reimport everything, it will take ages so is there something i haven't tried??????

*When i opened it a message came up that said it had to make a new file or something iTunes Music (damaged)

** Also my computer has the same amount of free space as it did before the crash so i assume nothing has been completely wiped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you tried dragging the library folder into iTunes?

OP
E
Reaction score
I'm doing that now (so obvious can't believe i didn't think of that sooner, cheers), it seems to be working but it has erased all my ratings and playlists and podcasts!

OP
E
Reaction score
Do you know of anyway to possibly just restore it with all of the ratings and playlists etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you still have the playlists xml, you can import that after. It will be in the top level of your original iTunes music folder.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have 2 of those files for some reason. I imported them both but it didn't do anything apart from duplicate the list on the sidebar like TV Shows, Movies, Genius etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I'll get back to you a little later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right>
If you have the playlist xml file from your original library,drag it to your desktop and do the following:

# From the File menu, choose Import.
# Navigate to and select one of the exported playlist files on your Desktop.
# Click Choose.

This should put all of your playlists back in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.