• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you think they will make OS 11 or just go 10.6-.10

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
If this is the wrong forum please bare with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
this thread if for rumours and reports and should have probably been in anything goes or OSX thread.

Personally, I believe that they are running out of cats to name them but they should go in chronological order. The significance of OS9 to OSX was a whole was huge - the way it looked, felt and worked.

So, in theory, if Apple do not release a completely different OS it may get to 10.999999999999999 - however this is in reality not going to happen. I don't think there is a better answer to be given at this stage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
The imagery that comes with saying "OS X" is too prominent in todays tech world. "OS Eleven" comes off as sounding less interesting, to me at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The imagery that comes with saying "OS X" is too prominent in todays tech world. "OS Eleven" comes off as sounding less interesting, to me at least.

Interesting point. Wonder how many people, when they see "OS X" read it as the letter or the roman numeral. I read it as "OS ten" Even so, 11 is a more awkward number to use/say. They could just abandon numbers altogether and just use names or something entirely different from "OS __"

Whatever it will be, it makes me a little giddy thinking that it's being worked on right now!

But there's still some good cat names out there; we have yet to see the "king of the jungle". That will probably be the last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It actually IS pronounced OS ten and not OS "ex" because Apple didn't want people pronouncing it "oh es sex" when saying it quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
But still, it does have a nice right to it. It even looks good. OS X.

OS XI would look simply a little weird...

Reaction score
Judging from recent articles that future updates will be in 12 to 18 month cycles, I'd say we've got several releases of OSX to go.

There are still plenty of big cat names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also wanted to mention that this question is rather ridiculous. Nobody here knows whether the next version will be 10.6 or 11. Nobody knows what will happen with Apple until it happens.

However, I was reading somewhere that Apple stated it was going with the OS X moniker for 10+ years. So if we're at 10.5 in 2007, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that we're halfway to version 11.

Reaction score
Apple's gotta stick with the numbers and go with 11 or XI (it worked — twice — with Oceans 11). And what about all the cachet attached to statements such as: "Oh yeah? Well I started with System 8!" Or whatever. A mere OS name would destroy the lineage!

Maybe Jobs would go back to prefacing 11 or XI with System, as the numbers were before OS 9.

Why, I worked with System 6! (Autographs upon request.)

Reaction score
There should be a large transition point between OS 10 and 11, where the operating system is dractically better. Like the transition from 9 to 10...if they don't have that, then they should keep with the cats. I cannot fathom what an OS 11 would look like...beyond the imagination...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
"OS 11" may not roll off the tongue the way "OS X" does (whether you call it OS ex or OS ten), but there is one very, very important consideration... The marketing value of being able to say "this one goes to eleven."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I would think so. Look at all the other mac OS's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
What do you think about "OS X Rusty-Spotted Cat" for 10.6. Instead of improving on leopard they could just put vista basic install discs in the boxes with a note that says "Gotcha!".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
I also saw that Steve Jobs said there might not be another OS update for another 10 years or so.

If that is so, i think 11 would be more realistic then 10.6

I personally think they might completely lose the number system and replace with something else... at the top of my head "OS Revolution that will revolutionize the world"

If anyone wants to buy this name, PM me lol ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Since Apple announced Leopard about 2 months after the release of Tiger, do you think we'll hear about the next OS before the end of the year or at the next major Apple event?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I also wanted to mention that this question is rather ridiculous. Nobody here knows whether the next version will be 10.6 or 11. Nobody knows what will happen with Apple until it happens..

AMEN

maybe in 2050 it will be called OSXXXX

Reaction score
6. I worked with system 1. My first mac was 128k ram 400k floppy disk and no harddrive or internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also saw that Steve Jobs said there might not be another OS update for another 10 years or so.

If that is so, i think 11 would be more realistic then 10.6

He wasn't saying that there wouldn't be another OS for 10 more years, but rather than Leopard would set the foundation for OS X over the next 10 years. So don't think we'll be stuck with Leopard for 10 years ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.