Stop MacBookPro from sleeping when closed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to configure my new macbook pro so as when I have it closed, it does not go to sleep (i.e. will continue running itunes???)

Thnx

EDIT: I shoulda read up some more on here first before posting but I figured it out now with a freeware called InsomniaX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be careful keeping your MBP top lid closed while streaming iTunes music. The CPU is working fairly hard when playing music which will keep the temperature up. I recommend if you do use InsomniaX that you buy a notebook stand to place the machine on. That will allow better cooling and give you additional protection against nasty spills. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Be careful keeping your MBP top lid closed while streaming iTunes music. The CPU is working fairly hard when playing music which will keep the temperature up. I recommend if you do use InsomniaX that you buy a notebook stand to place the machine on. That will allow better cooling and give you additional protection against nasty spills. :)

Regards.
That's not an issue. The CPU "works hard" regardless of whether it is open or closed. It is designed to do that.

Far more of an issue is what happens when you toss a running MacBook into a bag or case, and it doesn't automatically sleep. This is the dangerous thing about InsomniaX: it defeats a safety feature of the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3
If you don't want to install third party SW you can get the Apple wireless mouse or keyboard and enable the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" feature. In this way when you close the lid and it goes to sleep if you move the mouse it wakes up with the lid closed and resumes playing iTunes.
If instead you close it and drop it in a bag it will remain in sleep mode and be safe.

Other app you can use is Sleepless. Caffeine is similar, but avoids screen dimming and sleep when the system is unused for a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.